Witch's Brew Featured
Young Adult Fiction 2512
Fun New Story
(Updated: January 19, 2012)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

I love Heidi Kling's writing. I loved her debut story SEA and also a short story in the First Time anthology. I couldn't wait to read her new story WITCH'S TALE. This series is different as it has an interactive feature where readers decide where the story goes. I'm totally for new reading ventures that think outside he box.

I downloaded Witch's Brew and quickly got involved with the characters. This is a story where a witch and a warlock meet and fall for each other. Problem is they are sworn enemies. Kling once again casts her own spell with characters that are real and multi-layered. The tension and chemistry between our heroine and hero sizzles.

Lily is the lead witch who finds out their power is failing. They've been cursed and if there isn't someone who can break the spell, all magic will be gone. Lily is strong but also shows her own vulerabilities especially when she's around Logan. Her strength to stand up to the coven sisters shows she doesn't blindly follow others. Even though Lily is the chosen lead witch, it doesn't go to her head. She's not afraid to question even when other, stronger witches tell her otherwise. She doesn't do this in a snarly way that would label her unlikeable but rather in a way that shows her courage and strength.

Logan is hot. No question about that! It would be so easy to paint him as the arrogant love interest but Kling digs deeper with her characters and readers are rewarded. Logan is strong but also sensitive to those around him. His one weakness has to be Lily and his desire to be around her even when his 'father' tells him to trust no witch.

There's so much to love about this new series. The writing is lush and filled with great descriptions such as the one where Logan and Lily swim in the ocean.

Kling creates a world that is believable and very addictive. She's the queen of lush, yummy writing! I couldn't put my Kindle down! I can't wait to read the second book in this series. Check out this and other titles from Coliloquy. I just downloaded another book from them. A fun, new publishing method that I'm sure will take off.
Good Points
1. Unique idea of having reader decide on where to go with storyline on a Kindle
2. Kling nails the whole chemistry between characters in such a way that the pages crackle with energy
3. Great use of two alternative POVs that work
4. Lush, yummy writing. Kling is the queen of this!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 2 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Dugout: The Zombie Steals Home

0.0 (0)
Twins Stacy and Gina Cavallaro are on rival little league...
The Fountains of Silence

0.0 (0)
Madrid, 1957. Under the fascist dictatorship of General Francisco...
Dinosnores (Boynton on Board)

0.0 (0)
“Honk SHOOOOOO! Honk SHOOOOOO! . . .” ...
Good Day, Good Night

0.0 (0)
Now in a sturdy board book format, perfect for little...
TBH, This May Be TMI (TBH, #2)

0.0 (0)
Told entirely in text messages, the second book in this...
Creep

0.0 (0)
The haunting tale of a family that moves into...
Girl at Heart

0.0 (0)
As the daughter of a successful Major League pitcher,...
The Last of the Firedrakes

0.0 (0)
She never felt like she belonged…until magic pulled her...
Crown of Oblivion

0.0 (0)
In this mesmerizing YA fantasy mash-up of The Road...
When the Stars Lead to You

0.0 (0)
Nicola Yoon meets Jenny Han in a heated first-love...

0.0 (0)
Disturbing dreams are nothing new for Kyra. But when her...
I've Loved You Since Forever

0.0 (0)
New York Times #1 Bestseller! ...

Latest Member Reviews

All You Need Is a Pencil: The Totally Sick Sick-Day Activity Book

"THE TOTALLY SICK SICK-DAY ACTIVITY BOOK is exactly what the title describes. There are crossword puzzles, places to doodle, word..."
Animazes

"ANIMAZES shows the migration patterns of fourteen different creatures. It shows that there are several different paths these creatures can..."
Baby Loves the Five Senses: Hearing!

"BABY LOVES THE FIVE SENSES: HEARING teaches everything you need to know about how hearing, the ears, and sound all..."
Hard Work, but It's Worth It: The Life of Jimmy Carter

"Before reading this, I didn't know much about Jimmy Carter except that he had been one of the presidents. I..."
Ready to Fly: How Sylvia Townsend Became the Bookmobile Ballerina

"READY TO FLY is a biography of Sylvia Townsend and how she became a ballerina. She always loved to dance..."
Astro Kittens: Cosmic Machines (Astro Kittens)

"An excellent read for children who love machines and/or space, ASTRO KITTENS: INTO THE UNKNOWN takes preschoolers for an unforgettable..."
Astro Kittens: Into the Unknown (Astro Kittens)

"Wish you could teach your toddler about outer space and the basis for science-fiction? If so- or you just love..."
Harry Potter Origami

"Scholastic Inc brings origami and Harry Potter together in this book with fifteen foldable crafts! Each one has a different..."
Imagine

"IMAGINE is a gorgeous autobiographical poem with accompanying artwork and an inspirational tone. Herrera was the U.S Poet Laureate and..."
Awesome Achievers in Technology: Super and Strange Facts about 12 Almost Famous History Makers

"AWESOME ACHIEVERS IN TECHNOLOGY is an approachable middle grade non-fiction book about people behind every day inventions that you may..."
Kindergarten Big Skills Workbook: Sorting for Stem

"'Sorting for STEM Big Skills Workbook' deals with core concepts. Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics are the focus in this..."
Math Practice; Extra Big Skills Workbook

"'Math Practice Extra Big Skills Workbook' has a large variety of fun activities to help students build their math knowledge...."