Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

A Must-Read Fantasy Novel

The Burning Sky has all the elements a great fantasy novels should have-magic, unique world building which is convincing at the same time, a dashing hero, a bad ass heroine, wonderful romance and more than 400 pages. The last one is a joke but I do love it when they're longer. Even though I rarely read books over 360 pages.

You know those books where someone close to our heroine promises her they`ll always be there for her but when the time comes she`s forced to act alone without anyone`s help? Well, in this book, our heroine, Iolanthe, does have help from someone and that person is Titus, the prince of her Realm(or whatever you call it) who`s actually by her side every step of the way and is not afraid to get hurt as long as she stays safe. Now, that`s admirable! Titus even falls for her even though she`s dressed as a guy and has to cut her hair. He tries to keep it under wraps since everyone he cared about ended up dead. He obviously fails and doesn`t hide it well. But by this point I was sold due to Titus`awesomeness! He`s a real man who isn`t actually fearless and yet he would do anything to keep Iolanthe, or Fairfax(her boy name) safe. He will protect her from dragons, mean old ladies, their dangerous inquisitor even from herself.

Iolanthe has her doubts in Titus especially since she found out he lied to her and tricked her into a blood oath. She finds out she`s a rare elemental mage who isn`t yet convinced she`s all that. But she doesn`t complain even though she goes through so much in such a short period of time. She`s ready to fight and learn. To be better and to strive. Plus, she can play a great boy. It`s not easy being around them 24/7.

Romance was surprisingly well done. Well, I shouldn`t be so surprised. After all, Sherry Thomas did write a bunch of historical romance novels. But she obviously knows how to write one for teens so I applaud her for that. And that world building! Just marvelous!

I can`t wait to get my hands on the sequel. Too bad it`s coming out next year. Oh, the dreaded wait! And people will surely tease me with their ARCs while I sit and mope in my room.

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account

Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Children of Exile
Rosi must decide what she’s willing to risk to save...

0.0 (0)
Teeth of the Gods
Chained to an enemy general. Determined to be free....

0.0 (0)
The Vampire Trick (Dark World: The Vampire Wish 3)
In a kingdom full of secrets, no one can...

0.0 (0)
I Am Alfonso Jones
Alfonso Jones can't wait to play the role of...

0.0 (0)
Unearthed
From the New York Times best-selling author duo Amie...

0.0 (0)
The Boyfriend Agreement
Fake boyfriends are hard work. When 16-year-old Bella’s dream...

0.0 (0)
You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone
Eighteen-year-old twins Adina and Tovah have little in common...

0.0 (0)
Believarexic
Asking for help is only the first step. ...

0.0 (0)
Graveyard Shakes
Katia and Victoria are sisters and scholarship students at a...

0.0 (0)
Black Star Renegades
In the tradition of Star Wars, a galaxy-hopping space adventure...

0.0 (0)
This Tiny Perfect World
The big-hearted story of a small-town girl who discovers how...

0.0 (0)
The Last to Let Go
A twisted tragedy leaves Brooke and her siblings on their...

0.0 (0)
Pretty Dead Girls
Beautiful. Perfect. Dead. In the...

0.0 (0)
By a Charm and a Curse
A kiss is never just a kiss. ...

0.0 (0)
Naondel (The Red Abbey Chronicles #2)
Booklist called Maresi “utterly satisfying and completely different from standard...

0.0 (0)
Blood Water Paint
Her mother died when she was twelve, and suddenly Artemisia...

0.0 (0)

Latest Member Reviews

Solo

"Told entirely in verse, Solo is a story full of love, loss, addiction and music. Like Kwame Alexander's previous books,..."
Clayton Byrd Goes Underground

"A stirring, tuneful tale of familial ties—those that bind and those that constrain. This contemporary Middle Grade book..."
Wild Swans

"4.7 out of 5 stars! An emotional and captivating read. Filled with real life issues that are affecting most teenagers..."
Frozen Charlotte

"Sophie seems to have very bad luck when it comes to the supernatural, but she's never entirely sure that unexplained..."
Unforgivable

"Marcus saved Evie's life, and now she never wants to see him again. UNFORGIVABLE picks up right where INVINCIBLE left..."
Promises (New Beginnings #2)

"What I Loved: PROMISES by Michelle Lynn is a sweet and quick read. Let me first point out that..."
Choices (New Beginnings #1)

"What I Loved: CHOICES by Michelle Lynn is a sweet and quick read. Let me first point out that..."
Swan Boy

"Swan Boy by Nikki Sheehan made me incredibly angry. When the lead character, Johnny, moves with his family, he is..."
Suffer Love

"It's well-known that parents are scarce in YA literature. Either they're dead, or they're absent, or they're around but strangely..."
Losing Gabriel

"Losing Gabriel by Lurlene McDaniel is a story full of love, loss, and hope. The book follows the lives of..."
Don't Get Caught

"10:00 tonight at the water tower. Tell no one. -Chaos Club When Max receives a mysterious invite from the untraceable,..."
Don't Get Caught

"Max Cobb stars in this caper "Don't Get Caught"! In this fun and prank filled novel, Max Cobb along with..."
Suffer Love

"This book was told in the dual POVs of Hadley and Sam, two teenagers struggling with the consequences of choices..."
One Paris Summer

"Comment beau! One Paris Summer is a lovely summer read perfect for fans of The Statistical Probability of Love at..."
Suffer Love

"I have no words for this book. I’m having a hard time trying to express my thoughts about the book...."
Anything You Want

"Taco is an exuberant high school junior who is addicted to Maggie, a wild cheerleader whom he is dating. Her..."
Thicker Than Water

"Cecelia “CeCe” Price used to blend in at her school. Then, she became a drug dealer after watching her brother..."
Pretending to Dance

"Molly is settled and ready to adopt a baby with her loving husband in San Diego. When the adoption process..."
Emmy & Oliver

N/A
"When they were seven-years-old, Emmy and Oliver were best friends. Then Oliver’s dad kidnapped him and he wasn’t heard from..."
Emmy & Oliver

"If there’s anything you’re going to take away from this book, or a few other Robin Benway books, is that..."