Review Detail

Choose your season to read carefully!
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
First off, the cover is gorgeous and the title is eye-catching. But even better, the world-building in this book is amazing. The first book I read on a hot sultry day and I was a bit chilled reading the scenes in this book and how frostbite nips at her lips as the magic tears from her to force the elemental spirit of Winter to do her bidding. This second book in the duology, I read during a historically cold snap where I lived, and reading about this world made the cold settle into my bones. I had on warmer clothes, blankets, and the heat turned up while reading the descriptions of the land from which Sylvi comes. Depending on what temperature you love, pick the time of year you read this book with care.
I read the two books almost a year apart and, in many ways, there are enough references to the first book to help me remember and follow what was happening, but the plot is tight enough between the two that I would have enjoyed it even more if I was fresh off the first story when beginning the second. This was particularly true in reference to her mother’s backstory and how it was connected to the curse of the Shiv people.
I enjoyed the relationship between Kyn and Sylvi and how it evolved. Mars Dresden is the perfect mysterious warrior. Revealing his backstory does not diminish his status as an enigma. He was brusque and brutal in his dealings with winter. I was hoping for a relationship between him and Sylvi until his familial relationship with her is revealed. He is easily one of my favorite characters.
Final Verdict: This book is action-packed and hard to put down as Sylvi and her companions show down against the powerful elemental force of winter. I was so cold while reading this book so I would also give special recognition to the amazing writing talent of Shannon Dittemore’s ability to world build. This is a great book to choose for people who enjoy action and adventure/ epic fantasies.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account