Review Detail

Reunited Featured
Young Adult Fiction 2376
This summer's most epic read!
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Okay, first of all, we can't start this party off without a little mention of the cover. Just take a moment to scroll up and look at that. From the moment the ARC slipped out of the package and into my hands, the feeling I got was, "Summer is here, so slather on the sunscreen and let's get some beach reading done!"

I kid you not. That shade of yellow is definitely an eye-catcher.

Anyway, down to what's inside that pretty package. The story centers around Alice, Summer and Tiernan - three best friends and self-proclaimed biggest fans of the band Level3 (which, if you want to get a mental approximation, personally makes me think of a mixture of the Jonas Brothers - pre-"Joe the Hobo" stage - and One Direction). Unfortunately, when the band broke up, their friendship shattered right along with it.

Until now. High school graduation, getting ready to fall out of touch forever with the beginnings of their adult lives, and Alice just knows it's fate when Level3 announces a once-in-a-lifetime reunion show in Austin, Texas. So, does this girl go, "Oh, my gosh, our favorite band is getting back together? I should go and watch them by myself, for old times' sake!"

Puh-leeze. If she was that flat and boring (and...just not a teenager), we wouldn't have over three hundred words of plot, right?

No. Alice goes with her gut instinct and hits that Pay Now button - three tickets for three ex-best friends to see the band that made their friendship. Now, before we start linking arms and singing Kumbaya, remember that crucial word: ex. As in the guy with the weird toaster obsession that you'd rather take the long way home than face...or how about the co-worker who was always picking her nose? People you want to forget. People you don't expect will sit for hundreds of miles without fighting for shotgun or arguing over snacks or unplanned road trips.

You really can't blame Tiernan and Summer for wanting to avoid that hot mess, can you? In any case, due to their own ulterior motives, both girls jump on board - and you, the reader, are in on the most messed-up road trip of your summer vacation.

Ms. Graham has to be given kudos for a crucial aspect of writing YA that many would-be authors flounder on: she knows teenagers. True, many instances of the plot aren't really the escapades me or any of my besties would be caught doing (attempting to bury a reanimated squirrel? Going swimming with hippies of a suspicious nature? Parents, do you know where your daughters are tonight?), but the emotions and turbulence and uncertainty that come with leaving a certain stage of life behind ring true.

One complaint I always have about realistic fiction is the lack of happy endings - or at least, endings that fit my criteria for putting aside the book with a goofy smile on my face and a gentle pat on its glossy cover. I am happy to tell you that Reunited does end on a good note - in spite of the old resentments, and the lost concert tickets, and a particularly awful night in New Orleans.

Long story. I think you should just read it for yourself. As it is, I think my spoiler filter is being stretched to the max. Just, hang on until June - or better yet, plan a large road trip, kidnap one or two friends, and have a good excuse to read it for yourself.

Just...make sure they're willing victims. Or you'll find yourself in a big mess of your own.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Be Our Guest!

0.0 (0)
Join Gray Malin’s menagerie of wild animals for a stay...
Hat Tricks

0.0 (0)
Meet Hattie the magician―she’s a natural performer, and you’re invited...
Stanley's Toolbox

0.0 (0)
It’s another busy day with Stanley and friends! ...
Spring Is Here!

0.0 (0)
When spring arrives, baby animals come out to play with...
10 Things I Hate About Pinky

0.0 (0)
The delightful follow-up to When Dimple Met Rishi and There’s...
The Child of Chaos

0.0 (0)
This is what fantasy fiction should be." --Piers Anthony, New...
Want to Read Rate this book 1 of 5 stars2 of 5 stars3 of 5 stars4 of 5 stars5 of 5 stars Preview Star-Spangled: The Story of a Flag, a Battle, and the American Anthem

0.0 (0)
“O say can you see” begins one of the most...

0.0 (0)
July 20, 1969. It’s a day that has earned a...
Thurgood Marshall

0.0 (0)
When Thurgood Marshall—the great grandson of a slave—was born, African...
Down Under the Pier

0.0 (0)
There’s lots of fun to be had up on the...
Lali's Feather

0.0 (0)
This endearing story of identification and values shows the rewards...

0.0 (0)
Book three in a hilarious new series featuring one boy...

0.0 (0)
Everything starts with a question, like this one: Why do...

0.0 (0)
Worries, fears, and anxieties are all dragons that sneak up...
The Copycat

0.0 (0)
A funny, unpredictable, and heartfelt new novel from Wendy McLeod...

Latest Member Reviews

Daphne and Velma: The Vanishing Girl

"Daphne Blake and Velma Dinkley are opposites. Daphne is popular, traditionally pretty, and sociable. Velma prefers books and information to..."
The Bad Guys in the Baddest Day Ever (The Bad Guys #10)

"Snake is dead, and the Bad Guys, as well as the League of Heroes, are gathered for the funeral. Faced..."
Bury Me

"In horror books and movies, we often see dolls as the main source of scares( such as Annabelle or Child's..."
Nikki Tesla and the Ferret-Proof Death Ray

"Nikki Tesla is an espionage novel for pre-teens. It’s exciting, engaging, and utterly unique. Nikki Tesla is a..."
Shake It Off! (Wish #8)

"Bria has made some poor choices concerning friends and social media back home in Chicago, so her parents have decided..."
Not if I Can Help It

"Willa has struggled with a sensory processing disorder her whole life, but with supportive parents and some occupational therapy, she..."
My Fate According To The Butterfly

"My Fate According to the Butterfly is probably the first Middle Grade novel I’ve read in a very long time...."

"The Book case is a perfectly suitable mystery, with a cast of characters that will amuse readers both young and..."
Sarai and The Around The World Fair

"Though rich and vibrant in illustrations and culture, Sarai and the Around the World Fair is a slow-mover. ..."
The Pepper Party Picks The Perfect Pet (The Pepper Party, #1)

"Absolute fun is one way to summarize The Pepper Party Picks the Perfect Pet. Perfectly placed and brilliant illustrations helped..."
The Season

"THE SEASON by Sarah MacLean is a YA historical fiction novel that centers around seventeen-year-old Alex, who is coming of..."
Lost in Outer Space: The Incredible Journey of Apollo 13 (Lost #2)

"Thrilling and epic, LOST IN OUTER SPACE tells the harrowing story of the Apollo 13 mission as they learn that..."
Ready, Set, Drive!

"READY, SET, DRIVE will take your child's imagination for a ride. Each page has a different scenario for the reader..."
A Friend For Dragon

"All Dragon wants is a friend, but doesn't have any luck. The squirrel is too busy, the hippo is too..."
Two Dogs in a Trench Coat Go on a Class Trip (Two Dogs in a Trench Coat #3)

"Library copy Sassy and Waldo are super excited to go to the city museum (even though their..."
Bentley (The Puppy Place #53)

"Bentley is a story for children who love dogs, and for children who can read on their own ages 7-12,..."
The Light Jar

"Nate and his mother leave their home in the middle of the night to get away from Gary, an emotionally..."
Because of the Rabbit

"Emma's father is a game warden, and when she accompanies him on a rabbit rescue, she falls in love with..."
Overturned

"Top 3 reasons you need to read Overturned by Lamar Giles (and read the rest of his books while you're..."
Animal Stories (BOB Books)

"The pacing and simplistic words in the set ANIMAL STORIES (BOB BOOKS) is just what the emerging reader needs. The..."