A door in the dark
Age Range
14+
Release Date
March 28, 2023
ISBN
978-1665918688
Buy This Book

Ren Monroe has spent four years proving she’s one of the best wizards in her generation. But top marks at Balmerick University will mean nothing if she fails to get recruited into one of the major houses. Enter Theo Brood. If being rich were a sin, he’d already be halfway to hell. After a failed and disastrous party trick, fate has the two of them crossing paths at the public waxway portal the day before holidays; Theo’s punishment is to travel home with the scholarship kids—which doesn’t sit well with any of them.

A fight breaks out. In the chaos, the portal spell malfunctions. All six students are snatched from the safety of the school’s campus and set down in the middle of nowhere. And one of them is dead on arrival.

If anyone can get them through the punishing wilderness with limited magical reserves it’s Ren. She’s been in survival mode her entire life. But no magic could prepare her for the tangled secrets the rest of the group is harboring, or for what’s following them through the dark woods…

Editor review

1 review
Villain Origin Vibes
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
X A Door in the Dark is a book I read the blurb of many times but kept passing on as I wasn't sure about it, as Dark Academia can be hit or miss for me. I have read the author's Ashlords series, so I knew what to expect from the author and knew it would be a great ride if I could get into the story. The prologue truly sets your intentions for the book, and this helps draw you into the story because you're wondering when that particular scene will pop up and why it even happens. This author truly has a grasp of how to make his words flow easily off the page and how to keep his reader interested in his subject matter. And can we talk about the cover? Artistically, it's gorgeous. But once you read the story and then go back to look at it, it takes on a completely different meaning to your eye. It incorporates elements of the storyline well. The idea of magic existing but people having to have a currency to use it is so interesting. It never occurred to me that magic could be controlled as such. Like most societies you read about, it gets divided unevenly based on where you fall. It just reflects so many things we see in our current culture. The world-building was good. I was given the background to understand most of what the world was like. I would have liked more background on the magic in the book, though. I am eager to see where what we learned in this book leads us in the sequel.
Report this review Comments (0) | Was this review helpful? 0 0

User reviews

There are no user reviews for this listing.
Already have an account? or Create an account