Review Detail

4.3 1
Nothing is as it seems at St Griswold College for Abandoned Boys…
Overall rating

Writing Style

N/A
Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Nothing is as it seems at St Griswold College for Abandoned Boys…
And what an intriguing world this author has built!
When I first arrived on the steps of St. Griswold with Xavier, I felt like I’d stumbled onto Platform 9 3/4 again. But in a good way, as the author quickly proves that St. Griswold is no Hogwarts and it might very well be a dangerous place.
I was definitely drawn into the story right away, but as it is classified as a Young Adult book, I was expecting a story for a slightly more mature audience (for those of us that are a little more Adult and not so much Young.) While I would not class Xavier as belonging to the Young Adult genre, it is an excellent story for preteens and fans of the Middle Grade genre. If you are looking for an exciting (clean) story, with a great message to enjoy with your kids, Xavier is definitely it.
There was so much about this book I really enjoyed, but Gabe is by far the thing I loved the most. From his incredible arrival at Griswold to his quick wit, Gabe is such a well rounded, enjoyable character! Xavier is a good match to Gabe, while Ethan’s character brings some balance (and maybe a little uncertainty) to the group. Along their journey through the Mourn Forest, the boys meet some fantastic creatures and magical places. Places I would have loved to linger just a bit longer.
The only bit of criticism I have for this book is that the pacing was somewhat frustrating. The story begins well, with a lot of promise, but then it lulls for quite a bit until Xavier and his friends make their escape. Then it really gets going! It’s exciting, adventurous and entertaining … and it moves at a lightning pace compared to the beginning of the novel. A little more balance here would have warranted five stars. So many interesting creatures, places and people were introduced throughout Xavier’s journey, but as soon as one thing was mentioned and developed to the point of really capturing my interest, we were leaving and moving on to the next. Personally, I wanted to spend more time getting to know the Shay and their fantastic underground city, and I wanted to linger at the Boundary a little longer and discover more secrets from the Keeper. Perhaps this is why the book feels more suitable to a younger audience?
Nonetheless, I am looking forward to the next installment of the series and highly anticipating the arrival of a certain hero's wings!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account