N/A
Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
The story:

California “Callie” McCoy is a typical teenager in many ways: unsure of her future, struggles to fit in, and loves the few friends she has… especially Jamie, who she finally begins a relationship with after years of him pursuing her. They start their senior year of high school full of hope, but, as life is wont to do, will take more than a few dramatic turns, including a tragic incident that more and more teenagers seem to be subjected to these days.

What I loved:

Like most Michelle Lynn characters, every single person in this story felt real, and I connected to Callie immediately. Yes, there were times when I (and she) questioned her behavior and decision making and the crowd she falls in with in order to maintain her tenuous hold on being a fringe member of the “in” crowd, but what teen in that position wouldn’t? I also felt for Jamie, the product of an affair by a career-politician father who demeans his at every turn.

There was a definite theme of bullying in this story, which is something I feel very strongly about. Though it’s not the main theme, it does impact every character after one single event.

What I didn’t love:

Honestly, not much. One of the side stories involved Callie and her twin brother Colby investigating the mystery of who their father is, and that comes to a head at the very end, and I wish it could have occupied a larger chunk of the story. And just when we get a payoff on that plot-line, we jump forward ten years in time to a cliffhanger that leads into the second book. (I’m thankful I don’t have to wait to read We Thought We Knew It All, and neither should you.)

My Final Verdict:

We Thought We Were Invincible is a beautiful, touching story about love, angst, redemption, tragedy, and finally coming to terms with the end of your adolescence. It is thoughtful, humorous, the kind of story every teenager should read.

Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account