Review Detail

5.0 1
Young Adult Indie 245
We ALL Though We Were Invincible, Didn't We?
Overall rating

Writing Style

N/A
Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I thoroughly enjoyed this contemporary offering from Lynn, as it is my favorite genre to read. In many ways, I could relate to the main character Callie's "lostness" throughout the book. In less capable hands, Callie might have come across as boring or self-centered, but instead, as the plot unfolds, Lynn shares with the reader how Callie's indecisive nature is merely a product of her circumstances and the fullness of Callie's character is realized. We learn through both her inner dialogue and her relationships with others how her behavior is simply a manifestation of being true to herself. Her story arc, therefore, is less about growth than it is about self-actualization, something many young people struggle to achieve.

Lynn tackles a lot of big topics in this book: death, loss, love, bullying, and abuse. Each affects the characters in different ways and because the book is told in rotating chapters between Callie and Jamie, we get a broader view of these effects as the plot twists and turns.

The setting of this book was surprisingly refreshing and for me was another well-developed character added to the mix. The sleepy gulf coast beach town was the perfect backdrop for the storyline and I love how Lynn incorporated so much of beach life into Callie's life.

In all, We Thought We Were Invincible was a terrific read, and I am anxiously looking forward to book two in the series. Highly recommend to fans of YA contemporary.
Good Points
Amazing setting.
Well-developed characters.
Twisting plot.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account