Writing Style

N/A
Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
THE LAST SUMMER by Cait Marie is a YA contemporary novel set in the Midwest between next-door neighbors, Lila and Gavin. The two of them have grown up together since the womb— they were even born a few days apart from one another— but unfortunately, an incident happened at their eleventh birthday which resulted in the end of their friendship. Now, it’s the summer after graduation, and they’re both forced to work at the same ice cream shop. They think it’s the end of the world, but it forces them to reevaluate where they stand with one another. Soon, they realize that as difficult as the past has been, the future will be worse if they continue keeping secrets.

This book is the perfect meal for fangirls and fanboys. I’m obsessed with it. The plot has so many fun tropes; friends-to-lovers, enemies-to-lovers, stuck together, one bed. It’s all the cute, angsty, and romantic vibes that can fill the soul when an escape from reality is needed. The story also invokes some very iconic romance stories, most notably, A WALK TO REMEMBER. Like Landon, Gavin is the popular kid, and like Jamie, Lila is the more studious. Similar to Nicholas Sparks’ characters, once Lila and Gavin break down the walls between them, they have to face an unexpected obstacle that could stand in the way of their happily ever after. I also saw hints of THE VOW, as well as THE KISSING BOOTH 3 with the summer bucket list that two childhood friends swear to complete.

That being said, this book isn’t all fluff either. It does engage with some more serious topics, such as strife and separation between parents or caregivers and how that can affect the child. It also touches on some health issues, reminding us that our time on earth is finite and we have to be intentional in how we spend it. The characters, who are getting ready for college, must also face what it means to be leaving home for the first time, saying goodbye, and considering the paths they want to take. I’ll be honest, there was a point after about fifty pages, that I was worried this book would take a very dramatic turn in tone, but the author did a great job at balancing the sweetness with the real.

To be frank, I could not put THE LAST SUMMER down. I read it in two sittings and probably would’ve read it in one if I hadn’t started it so late at night. I highly recommend this book to readers who are looking to be swept up in a story that will give them butterflies, will tug at their heart, and will be cheesy in the best way possible.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account