Young Adult Fiction 4480
Continuation of the Mystery, Intrigue, and High-Stakes Situations
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
As a fan of the series, I was excited to learn it was about to expand to include a fourth book, and my anticipation of it being one of the top books I wanted to read in 2023 only grew from there. It is with great satisfaction that it continues the air of mystery, intrigue, riddles, and high-stakes situations that make this series so fun to read.
I like that the plot delves deeper into Jameson and Grayson’s strengths and weaknesses as they each try to find their footing since their grandfather died. The Old Man is still a driving force in each of their psyches and with flashbacks, we get to see events that shaped or broke their self-worth and his manipulations through the years.
In this book, Jameson meets his father who has an irresistible request. Avery and Jameson push themselves to the very limits of their cleverness and physical prowess which is thrilling to read as he tries to please his father. Along the way, he must come to terms with his father and his father’s side of the family and his place in that dynamic.
An equally compelling story arc is Grayson who receives an alert from his private detective that his father’s family is in trouble. Grayson is the perfect wounded hero. He is coming to terms with his need to be perfect and the mistakes that led to Emily’s death, Avery choosing Jameson to date, Eve’s betrayal, and now helping his sisters while trying to keep his intentions hidden. All these characters have larger-than-life personalities, but his younger half-sister, Gigi nearly stole the spotlight with her exuberance and charm.
There are several mentions of additional mysteries that crop up along the way but are not the focus. They do build up the ending to segue easily into a fifth book that I wish was already here. I loved this thrilling and compelling story but there are a couple of wishes that I have as a reader. For four books now the focus has been on Jameson and Grayson, whom I love, but I want Xander and Nash’s characters to get fleshed out a bit more since there are four brothers.
I wanted to utterly get lost in the pages of this book but one thing that was a bit jarring was Jameson and Grayson’s adventures were mostly independent of each other, yet the story kept switching off their stories. Just when I reached a part where I could not put it down and the action intensified the perspective would switch to the other character and I would lose momentum until that last part when they finally came together and then I stayed up late into the morning to finish. I hope in the next book they have a more unified story.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account