Writing Style

N/A
Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
First up I had high expectation of this book. Since I really did like the teasers that Gilbert on her blog ( http://www.jessagilbertbooks.com/ ). And to my utter surprise all my expectations were exceeded. The book, was in so many ways so much more than i ever could have expected. The thing is, I knew that I liked Gilbert's way with words. As I said I read those teasers. What I didnt expect is how much I would love it. She managed to draw me in and captivate me right from the beginning until the (for me) way to sudden end of the book. Gilbert is an extraordinarily talented writer, a master of description with tons of imaginations and very witty.
You know that rare book that makes you forget everything around you, the story that takes you in, becomes a part of you while you reading? yeah that was Origins for me. It totally got under my skin.
i cannot wait for the next book of the series to be released!

The plot threw me several times and as the story unfolds many things get explained... but one is always left wanting more. A kind of a vampire story but not the. kind i have ever read before. A great new take on immorality

WARNING! there will be some spoilers in following parts

I found in most paranormal fiction lately there are two types of female leads, they either kick-ass hard core and then have often commitment issues or they are whining damsels in distress. And they often make really stupid and unreasonable choices...Adeline is neither, she is a young woman with her problems and insecurities (like all of us), that has a choice to make which she does contemplate carefully. She is loyal to the ones she loves and is trying to find her own way, with the choices life has given her. She also doesnt expect other to be perfect she accepts their pasts and their faults, which i think is probably what makes her most endearing to me.

Vraiden is the bad boy, who gets caught off guard with how much he likes Adeline. And decided not only to be honest with her but also tries to do whats right for her. Oh and this is not a bad boy suddenly becomes an angel story. He tries to do whats right. I loved him from their first encounter, since he smirks and looks exactly like i like them ;) but from the beginning one knows that there is more to him. Totally love the chemistry between Adelin and Vraiden and so want them to end up together.

And then Luc comes in the picture. And honestly at first i found him a bit off putting. but i couldnt help but laughing at his great one liners. He is so incredibly witty, its a pleasure to read! And as the story goes on and one gets to know the background and what had happened between the two brothers, I started to really like him. While he is somehow broken, to a huge degree through his brothers actions, he still protects his brother and Adeline and even swear an oath to do so.

Gilbert managed to create characters that have real depth. and its not a oh this is the goody and thats the bady situation. which is what really life is like. there are many shades of grey never just black and white. and i think thats what really got me. the fact that it is a really good story, a new take on the blood drinking type of immortals is just one side to it. her descriptions of the ocean the forest and also of peoples emotions are impeccable. they draw one in and all of it is supported by characters that a real ,are complicated have depth and many facets to themselves. the story line is not one of happy clappy one either. each one of the MC has to make hard decisions during it, and as the story unfolds you can see why they have taken them.

Honestly this is one of the best releases in 2012 for me!
Good Points
Gilbert's descriptions, her writing style. The plot and also the end. The fact that not all is happy makes it real.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account