Review Detail

Middle Grade Non-Fiction 261
Mansa Musa
Overall rating

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

Learning Value

Mansa Musa: The Richest Man in history gives a brief account of an important historical figure. Mansa Musa ruled the Mali Empire in Africa from 1312-1337 and was incredibly rich in trade and gold. There was not a lot known about Africa in this area until he made a Hajj pilgrimage and brought a huge caravan of gold with him. Along the way, he made diplomatic trades with others and was inspired to create a grand library and university for learning upon his return. It is mind-boggling how much gold he traveled with and wasn’t robbed.
I like that this biography highlights an important person in history from an underrepresented culture. The back matter provides extra information to ensure the text is understandable for middle-grade readers. The illustrations are impressionistic which is not my favorite style but complement the text well. The discussion questions and extension activities are a nice bonus in the back. Beyond the book, I love the mission of the publishers of this book to fund a day of school for a girl in Africa for every book sold. To learn more you can visit www.camfed.org.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account

Latest Additions