Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
This story has a lot going for it. It's a unique twist on the whole paranormal premise with a Latina protagonist that enters a surreal world by shedding her skin. There are Mexican cultural references such as El Dia de los Muertos-Day of the Dead-in which she finds other skeletons dancing which is both beautiful and haunting. I totally loved how she says she feels beautiful as a skeleton. Consuela at first is confident even when she finds herself in the mysterious, surreal world of the Flow. I totally loved how Metcalf starts each chapter off with quotes from Octavio Paz, who won a Noble prize in Literature and is a famous Mexican author. Each paragraph is beautifully quoted and fits right in with this story. Also each of the other characters has his/her own unique characteristics. Tender, who takes on pain; V, who was suppose to help Consuela, Wish, who grants wishes, and Sissy, who's kind of a director of the Flow.

I love stories that have elements of Mexican surrealism, so I savored this tale. When Consuela tries to find out who is killing those within the Flow, she fears what will happen to her. I did think this part of the story was fast paced, but once again I was able to stay with Consuela, hoping she'd not only find out who was murdering the others but be able to get back to her own world. There were some passages I read outloud to my friend, just to hear the words. Metcalf does a great job showing us a strong, confident protagonist who finds herself in a world where reality and surrealism collide. I loved this story but do suggest that you don't rush through it as you'll miss some important elements of the tale.

This is an unique twist on the usual paranormal tale with a strong Latina protagonist. Creative and very intriguing, I recommend this tale to those who love different tales with a surreal flavor.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account