Review Detail

Engaging Epic Fantasy
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Forged in Fire and Stars is a solid first book in a high fantasy trilogy. The world-building was well done and shaped this story into a unique addition to the genre. The country of Saetlund has been invaded. The twin heirs escaped before the fall and were raised in secret. The famous Loresmith whose powers were granted by the gods was able to get his pregnant wife away before his death. Now the twins have found Ara and they all start on an epic quest to visit the gods to regain her mythic powers that are her birthright to free their country.
Along the way they meet a charming thief named Teth, blessed by the goddess, Eni to help them. I love his character and the emerging relationship between Ara and him. They are later joined by Lahvja who has mysterious powers and secrets of her own.
There are brief glimpses of the enemy and their dark magic. There is also a surprise betrayal. I have read the book twice and there are few clues to prepare you for the big reveal that changes everything.
I used an audiobook for a portion of this book and liked the choice to make the characters have an Irish accent. It fits in nicely with a world full of myths and legends and tangible magic belief systems powered by gods.
Overall, this is a book good enough to enjoy reading more than once. Reading by book or audiobook are both pleasant options. The trilogy is now complete and I look forward to binge reading them all.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account