Review Detail

Blacksouls Featured
Young Adult Fiction 1349
The story of young Black Beard the pirate
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

I did find some of the descriptions of ‘Teach’ and ‘Anne’ and ‘Cara’ and ‘Coyle’ a little sanctimonious and the characters’ personalities were a little too black and white, good or evil.
Good Points
‘Blacksouls’ is the sequel to Nicole Castroman’s début novel ‘Blackhearts’. It tells of the story of young ‘Black Beard’ the pirate and the women he loves, Anne. I was able to understand what was happening in ‘Blacksouls’ without having read ‘Blackhearts’ first (although I plan on reading it). If I had known that this series was about ‘Black Beard’ the pirate, I would have begun it sooner. When I was a kid I saw the move ‘Black Beard’s Ghost’ and since then have been fascinated with the pirate.

‘Blackhearts’ and ‘Blacksouls’ take us back to a time when traveling and shipping goods was incredibly dangerous. I’ve been wanting to read a historical fiction that explains some of the perils of travel by sea. Castroman describes in vivid details the ugliness of life aboard a ship in the eighteenth century. Her descriptions were wonderfully detailed and graphic.

I also liked the flow of the switch between ‘Teach’s’ and ‘Anne’s’ POV. I also would have liked to have one edition POV such as ‘Easton’s’ or ‘John’s’.
I loved the characters. I also liked the romance elements of the story which was not at all what I would expect from a novel about pirates.

The prose was super easy to read and colorful. The research done for this book was amazing. I learned so much about seventh century sailing and the details really added a lot to the story.
I flew through the book.
I loved ‘Blacksouls’ and I plan to go back and read ‘Blackhearts’ as well as the third installment in the series. This book was well written, entertaining, educational, and original. I can’t wait to dig into ‘Blackhearts’ the next chance I get.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account