Firstlife Featured
Young Adult Fiction 2624
Firstlife
(Updated: January 21, 2016)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Seventeen-year-old Tenley "Ten" Lockwood has been sentenced to Prynne Asylum after she refuses to sign on to a place after her death. Firstlife only prepares someone for Everlife, where life really begins. There are two realms to choose from-Myriad and Troika. Both worlds will do anything to sign her on. If she doesn't make a decision? She'll end up Unsigned and sent to a limbo-like hell called Many Ends. She's caught in a vicious tug of war and doesn't know who to trust. The big thing though is she needs to stay alive long enough to make a decision.

What worked: This is one trippy ride into a dystopia world that is parts Orange is the New Black colliding with a twisty spiritual Hereafter. Ten is stubborn to a fault even when she's tortured to sign on to Myriad. If she doesn't sign on to Myriad, her father will lose everything. He's so determined to get her to sign on that he approves of the methods in the sadist prison-like asylum. The descriptions of the horrors of the treatment of not only Ten but other teens is grisly and troubling. Talk about parental control going overboard!

Ten's world is filled with manipulations, betrayals, liars, and death. Lots of deaths. Even after someone 'dies', they can experience a whole different magnitude of Hell in their so-called hereafter. No one is safe or to be trusted.

The worlds are complex and reminded me of a twisted spiritual realm. When someone dies, their spirit inhibits another body called a 'shell'. Showalter does a great job fleshing out not only the world Ten lives in but the other two realms. Neither realm is heavenly but each hold dark secrets. The twists of these worlds is dark and very intense.

There's also possible love interests. Killian who shows up in the asylum and tries to get Ten to sign with Myriad. Archer who does the same thing but only for the only side. Both have hidden agendas. The banter between all three of the characters reveals more than they let on.

I did love how Showalter tackled free agency. There's a quote where Ten is asked, "Do you want to choose the life your parents want?" Ten could have taken the easy way out and just signed but instead she fights to have the right of choosing for herself. This shows readers her inner strength and will power.

One issue I did have is how fast everything happens to Ten. There are so many betrayals, lies, hurts, and manipulations. There also seems to be no hope for any of the characters but if readers remember that the first life a person has is only the beginning? It makes more sense.

Everyone in this novel has hidden agendas--to have Ten sign over to their side. Only toward the end of the novel is it revealed who might in fact have Ten's best wishes at heart. But even then? Readers are left with doubts.

Fast-paced ride through a world where everything hinges on an important choice where indecision could be a deadly mistake.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 2 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Close Calls: How Eleven US Presidents Escaped from the Brink of Death

0.0 (0)
Historians tell the stories of tragic and untimely presidential deaths,...
Imber (Book One of The Thanatos Trilogy)

0.0 (0)
The locks are failing. The...
Awesome Dog 5000 (#1)

0.0 (0)
Marty, Ralph, and Skyler might make the ultimate secret combo...
Althea Gibson: The Story of Tennis' Fleet-of-Foot Girl

0.0 (0)
Althea Gibson was the quickest, tallest, most fearless athlete in...
The Big Game

0.0 (0)
Danny Owens is dedicating his seventh-grade season to his Super...
Race to the Sun

0.0 (0)
Lately, seventh grader Nizhoni Begay has been able to detect...
Suffragette: The Battle for Equality

0.0 (0)
Imprisonment, hunger strikes, suffrajitsu — the decades-long fight for women’s...
Catherine's War

0.0 (0)
A magnificent narrative inspired by a true survival story that...
Dangerous Alliance

0.0 (0)
Lady Victoria Aston has everything she could want: an older...
Dugout: The Zombie Steals Home

0.0 (0)
Twins Stacy and Gina Cavallaro are on rival little league...
The Fountains of Silence

0.0 (0)
Madrid, 1957. Under the fascist dictatorship of General Francisco...
Dinosnores (Boynton on Board)

0.0 (0)
“Honk SHOOOOOO! Honk SHOOOOOO! . . .” ...

Latest Member Reviews

Dangerous Alliance

"Lady Victoria 'Vicky' Aston has a good life. Her older sister is married to a charming Viscount; her family estate..."

"In 1935, ten-year-old Alex Maki is disgusted when he finds out that his pen-pal Charlie is a girl. Still, they..."
Loki: Where Mischief Lies

"LOKI: WHERE MISCHIEF LIES tells a new story of teen Loki, before all the big battles and intergalactic feuds with..."
Jane Anonymous: A Novel

"Told from the perspective of a girl who was captured and escaped, JANE ANONYMOUS is a thriller of both physical..."
Jason & Kyra

N/A
"posso usare l'italiano or english"
Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)

"In all seriousness, Fireborne by Rosaria Munda is the best. I have nothing to compare it to. It is unique,..."
Tweet Cute

"TWEET CUTE is a fun enemies-to-dating and anonymous-You've-Got-Mail style YA contemporary romance. The book follows the two protagonists in equal..."
Throw Like a Girl

"THROW LIKE A GIRL is a charming story about chasing your dreams, a little romance, and a passion for sports...."
The Boy Next Story

"'The Boy Next Story' by Tiffany Schmidt follows main character Aurora, who goes by Rory, as she tries to figure..."

"Veronica can see the ghost of her dead mother. She also suffers from debilitating migraines that hold her back from..."
Pax Novis (The Pax Archives, #1)

"PAX NOVIS is an engaging YA sci-fi novel that takes place in the future, when humans have colonized other planets...."
And I Darken

"To be honest, I went into this expecting vampires. I guess between the visual tone to the..."
Endling: The First

"Applegate delivers an action-packed middle-grade sequel in a uniquely otherworldly setting, with characters that are relatable, cute and fuzzy, along..."
The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)

"THE GUINEVERE DECEPTION is an incredible new YA fantasy that combines a dark mystery, magic, and romance/love into a gorgeous,..."
Refraction

"REFRACTION is a highly readable/devourable book that is certainly a page-turner. In the post-apocalyptic future, a small island appears to..."
Jason & Kyra

N/A
"hi :) bross :)"
Fan the Fame

"WHAT I LOVED: Excuse me, who gave Anna Priemaza permission to bug my house and use my brother and I..."
I'm Not Dying with You Tonight

"Los Angeles, Ferguson, and Baltimore. Three cities where years of racism, injustice, unchecked police brutality, and rampant anti-Black racism came..."
Serpent & Dove

"I’d been hearing about this book on Bookstagram, BookTube, and BookTwitter as an anticipated release for September 2019. And then..."
Stalking Jack the Ripper

"I have no words….well, that’s a lie. I have lots of words. Just where to start?! Stalking Jack the Ripper..."