Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 4274
Not the Oz you thought you knew.
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Having failed to assasinate Dorothy, Amy Gumm is on the run. Alongside her is princess Ozma, former ruler of Oz and current space case. All she has to go on is the Wizard's assurance that she can succeed in her task once she has collected the three most powerful objects in Oz. With the tin man's still beating heart squirreled away in her satchel, Amy sets out to find the rest her compatriates, collect the Lion's courage and Scarecrow's brain, and finally kill Dororthy.

For those people new to the story, this is not the Oz we grew up with. It is much grittier and features some truly dark characters. There are gruesome deaths (usually at Amy's hand) and some scary moments that are not for the faint of heart. This creates an action-packed plot that is near impossible to put down (even when it is past midnight and you know that your 3 month old will be waking in a few hours!)

In this second book in the series, Danielle Paige has expanded to cast of characters and moved beyond those we may be familiar with. We meet LuLu, the monkey queen with a past close to the crown, Bright, a beautiful but cowardly young man and Polychrome, the rainbow fairy who appears to have a great deal more going on beneath the surface. Of course our old favorites reappear and we get to see a developing relationship between Amy and Nox. Amy experiences a great deal of growth within this novel as she learns more and more about the magic of Oz and balances the line between good and wicked. She is not your simpering, goody-two shoes character who whines about her lot in life and she never hesitates to do the dirty work - even when that involves beheadings!

We follow Amy and Ozma through several new, enchanting lands and get a glimpse of what Oz could have been without the influence of Dorothy and Glinda. These worlds are truly magical and I only wish the book had been longer so that we could spend more time in these incredible places. We also get to see a twisted, macabre version of the Emerald City and discover that the liberation of Oz has become even more complicated than we had previously thought. In the end, we are left on a cliffhanger that had me thinking about the book all night long and pining for the release of the next in the series (2017? Say it ain't so?!)

If you haven't already, do yourself a favor and pick up this book. And while you are at it, grab the novellas as well. They add an interesting dimension to the story and allow you to immerse yourself in Oz just that little bit longer.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Once Upon a Crime: Batman Tales

0.0 (0)
Gotham City is filled with stories--of heroes and of villains,...

0.0 (0)
With Joanie Stone's colorful illustrations and Allison Crotzer Kimmel's inspirational...
Cracked Up To Be

0.0 (0)
The high price of perfection is one 'Perfect' Parker Fadley...
Finder, Coal Mine Dog

0.0 (0)
An action-packed and heartwarming story of a dog in the...
Bo the Brave

0.0 (0)
A feisty little girl learns who the real monsters are...
Double Trouble!

0.0 (0)
Mischief is multiplied when twins are around! ...
The Morning Flower (The Omte Origins, #2)

0.0 (0)
New York Times bestselling author Amanda Hocking returns to the...
The Derby Daredevils: Kenzie Kickstarts a Team: (The Derby Daredevils Book #1)

0.0 (0)
Ever since they can remember, fifth-graders Kenzie (aka Kenzilla) and...
Nina Soni, Former Best Friend

0.0 (0)
The first title in a new series featuring a lovable,...
Nina Soni: Sister Fixer

0.0 (0)
The second title in a humorous series featuring a charming,...
The Alchemist's Shadow (Watch Hollow #2)

0.0 (0)
Having defeated the Garr, a vicious tree monster who lived...
The Lost City (The Omte Origins, #1)

0.0 (0)
Amanda Hocking, the New York Times bestselling author of The...
Helen Keller: The World at Her Fingertips

0.0 (0)
When Helen Keller was a baby, she became sick and...
King and Kayla and the Case of the Unhappy Neighbor

0.0 (0)
A lovable dog helps his human girl solve a mystery....
Doodleville

0.0 (0)
Drew is just a regular artist. But there's nothing ordinary...
Glitch

0.0 (0)
From the critically acclaimed author of Float comes a new...

Latest Member Reviews

Dating Nashville

"'Dating Nashville' by Michelle MacQueen and Ann Maree Craven follows some of the same characters that graced the pages of..."
Glass Kingdom

"I don't even know where to start with this book. I practically finished it in one day (and I would..."
The Lost Legends

"Growing up with the stories of the Nihryst, Adalina wants nothing more than to find them and break their curse...."
Jesse and the Ice Princess (Gulf City High)

" The story: Jesse Kerrigan has it all: good looks, charisma, and popularity. Even though he’s..."
Fae Hunter

"An enjoyable tale of a young woman who loses her sister and her sight to the Fae, but that is..."
Dragon Rebellion (The Hidden Warrior)

"Fantastic conclusion! Dragon Rebellion by M. Lynn is the final book in The Hidden Warrior duology picking up weeks after..."
The Parkour Club

"The descriptions of Parkour are entertaining and opened my eyes to a new discipline that I was scarcely aware of..."
Dragon Rebellion (The Hidden Warrior)

"DRAGON REBELLION opens up with Jian and Hua taking refuge in Hua's family farm, but she hasn't awoken since she..."
Chosen (Gem Creek Bears, Book 1)

"When Tris escapes from being kidnapped by her boyfriend Corbin, she does the only logical thing. She gets the heck..."
The Parkour Club

"I enjoyed this book immensely. As with all of her books, Pam Withers masterfully builds up the characters and skilfully..."
Inebriated

"'Inebriated' by Katey Taylor is a hauntingly real look at the power of intoxication, whether it be in the form..."
The Path We Take

"'The Path We Take' by Kylie Key shows how the choices we make and the things we think we want..."
Outlawed

"The story: When her father forces her to travel back in time to correct the mistake he made, Maryanne..."
The Suicide Journal

"The Suicide Journal is novella centered around a teenager named Cal. The story essentially centers around Cal's decision to kill..."
Legacy of Light (Legends of the Tri-Gard Book 2)

"FEEDBACK Well, this story has gone in a completely different direction than I expected it to. Davion didn’t die..."
Rising

"The story: In a dystopian future, the former state of Alaska is now home to what remains..."
Call of the Rift: Flight

"The Call of the Rift: Flight by Jae Waller is the first book in an alternate-historical fantasy about Kateiko, a..."
The Parkour Club

"I learned a lot about parkour and also Islam from this book. I appreciate a book that focuses around a..."
The Parkour Club

"Adventure, sport, romance and cross-cultural understanding"
Legacy (The Biodome Chronicles #1)

"Future collides with the past in Legacy by Jesikah Sundin, the first book in her series The Biodome Chronicles. Following..."