Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 3902
Beautiful, haunting and all things in between
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

This book is different. Different to all the other books that I have ever read.

Firstly, it is narrated by Death itself. That's something I have never ever seen before, and I was done in the most perfect of ways.

Secondly, this book is set in one of the darkest of times that humans have ever been through. But this book isn't all dying and screams of the Jewish being tortured, this book still has a childhood that a lot of people would die for. One full of a loving family, amazing friends and criminal escapades.

Lastly this book has such an astounding use of metaphors. Markus Zusak has compared things no one else could. He barley used any smilies, but metaphors, making you want so much to believe. My favorite metaphor in this book was the one about the cloud stretching towards the sun like a tight-rope, and Max and Liesel walking hand in hand along it together. This was a truly beautiful line that was truly amazing.

Most books that have been written during this period of time are very depressing, with hardly fun parts, all sadness for everyone of the characters. But this book had captured the laughter and smiles of the children who still had fun during this time, children like Liesel and Rudy.

I think that this book kinda let itself down in the sections when it told us the ending. I think that this spoiled the storyline, and made you know what to expect. I know that this was a recount by Death, but I think that the author should of not gave away the ending.

This book is beautiful, haunting and it captures your heart in every page you turn, a flourishing childhood blooming in the saddest of times.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

2 results - showing 1 - 2
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
August 16, 2012
I really really need to get around to reading this book. :/ Great review!
November 21, 2012
truly amazing.
2 results - showing 1 - 2
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

A Curse of Roses

0.0 (0)
Based on Portuguese legend, this #OwnVoices historical fantasy is an...
I Don't Want to Wash my Hands!

0.0 (0)
From beloved children's author and illustrator Tony Ross, comes a...
Dance Like a Leaf

0.0 (0)
As her grandmother's health declines, a young girl begins to...
The Bitterwine Oath

3.3 (2)

0.0 (0)
San Solano, Texas, is a quaint town known for...
Sing Like No One's Listening

0.0 (0)
A moving YA debut about a talented young singer...
Heiress Apparently (Daughters of the Dynasty, #1)

0.0 (0)
The first book in an epic and romantic YA...
The Good Girls

0.0 (0)
One of Us Is Lying meets Sadie in this...
Frozen 2: Dangerous Secrets: The Story of Iduna and Agnarr

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Iduna harbors a dark secret. On the surface,...
The Camelot Betrayal

0.0 (0)
The second book in a new fantasy trilogy from...

0.0 (0)
Every summer, they say goodbye. Dorit goes to Tel Aviv...
Incredible Animals

0.0 (0)
In this illustrated guide, discover fascinating and unusual information about...
Special Delivery

0.0 (0)
A lovely book to share with children in an expecting...
Eyelike Stickers: Trains

0.0 (0)
Hundreds of irresistible, reusable, and collectible stickers to mix, match,...

0.0 (0)
It is twenty years since the events of La Belle...
Winter Light

0.0 (0)
WINTER LIGHT is the story of 15-year-old Mary Donahue...

0.0 (0)
Fight like a magical girl in this paperback original contemporary...

Latest Member Reviews

The Day Before (Riverdale Novel 1)

"Riverdale: The Day Before features the perspectives of the four main characters of season 1: Jughead, Archie, Betty, and Veronica...."
These Broken Stars (Starbound #1)

""These Broken Stars" is an interesting YA sci-fi that follows two young people after a space shuttle crash. Lilac LeRoux..."
Deception (Defiance #2)

""Deception" continues Rachel and Logan's story as the survivors of Baalboden head into Wasteland to make a new life for..."
Across a Star-Swept Sea (For Darkness Shows the Stars #2)

""Across a Star-Swept Sea" is an incredible sequel that introduces a new world and cast of characters, making it also..."
Ready Player One

"I enjoyed this story it kept me entertained. I enjoyed the characters and ending."
These Broken Stars (Starbound #1)

"I’ll admit I was a bit hesitant to pick this one up. First of all, it sounded a bit like..."
Nevermore (Nevermore #1)

"What a ride! As a Poe enthusiast, I found this book irresistible. I struggled to put it down. And, when..."
Nevermore (Nevermore #1)

" It's great! What I love the most is how dark and gritty the world felt. It was so cool..."
How to Disappear

"I am so absolutely in love with Sharon Huss Roat. Her books are funny, relatable, and so easily devoured. I..."
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days #1)

"Possible spoilers ahead. Angelfall is most definitely a unique story with a dark twist on angels and the apocalypse..."
172 Hours on the Moon

"172 Hours on the Moon was an interesting novel. It was full of suspense, thrills, and horror. The author crafted..."
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days #1)

"This book follows Penryn, a young girl living in a dystopian world where angels have conquered the world and have..."
Vampire Academy: Last Sacrifice (Book 6)

"Rose Hathaway and Princess Valissa Dragomir must uncover the mysteries going on in St. Vladamir's Academy and their world. St...."
Thirteen Reasons Why

"Definitely the reason why I decided to reread this was because of the show. and now that I finished reading..."
Thirteen Reasons Why

"Thirteen Reasons Why (stylised as Th1rteen R3eason Why) follows shy high school teenager Clay Jensen. Clay has received a..."
L.A. Candy (L.A. Candy #1)

"This is is not very good but for some reason I kind of enjoyed it. It's going to be one..."
Anna and the French Kiss

"Anna's father decides he's going to send Anna to a international boarding school in Paris. It's her senior year and..."
Allegiant (Divergent #3)

"The Divergent series comes to an end as Tris, Tobias and the gang venture outside the fence. This was another..."
Vampire Academy: Last Sacrifice (Book 6)

"4.5 stars! Action packed and filled with humor, the Vampire Academy series is a great read for teens. Richelle Mead..."
Ready Player One

K Karen@Thebookreturn.com
"I have to say that I think this will be a must read for everyone although I think that those..."