N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Reader reviewed by kim

Evernight Academy is an exclusive private school with gothic architecture and unexplainable sense of foreboding. Sixteen year old Bianca wants to run away when her parents take teaching positions and move there. She meets the mysterious Lucas in the forest whom she falls for with extreme intensity. Bianca is a small town girl, who is inexperienced and naive and has a hard time fitting in at Evernight. She finds allies among other outcasts, but especially so in Lucas, an angry and overprotective boy who makes one wonder what secrets of his own he is keeping.
 I enjoyed Evernight and immediately read the sequel Stargazer after finishing the first book. However, it really seemed odd to me that the author waited until the middle of the book to drop a major bombshell regarding vampires. I think it's strange to have a narrator keep something like that from the reader and then all of a sudden constantly refer to it as if you had that understanding between you from page one. It should've been revealed from the beginning in my opinion. My only other gripe was the intensity of how Bianca fell so instantaneously for Lucas. She merely looked at him and was madly in love. That seemed a little cheesy to me but I understand being a teenager and meeting your first real "love". I just wish it had been explained better. In my opinion, Balthazar was a way  more appealing suitor with a more multifaceted character, and I kept hoping things would turn in his favor. Other than that, I did enjoy Evernight. There are also a lot of unanswered questions about Evernight Academy itself, and it's unusual mix of students that I am extremely eager to come to the bottom of as well. Bianca's relationship with her family is another strong pull of the novel and should be interesting to see how the characters grow and evolve.

Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account