Writing Style

N/A
Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
My first thoughts on putting the book down: More please? Unfortunately, this is not a series, but it definitely would make me interested if there was a follow up with the characters. I don't think it is in the cards, but alas, I think this is just my way of expressing how much I liked the characters and how I was invested in their story.
Jacqueline had my sympathy and my cheers from page one. She was a victim and watching her learn about herself and grow through her experiences touched me deeply. Sexual assault is something that hits way too close to home to me and also to probably many other readers. Even if not personally, through a friend or family member. We all think that it won't happen to us, and can all be surprised at the perpetrators at times. It can be people we know and possibly even love... I think that the message ultimately becomes, speak up, get help and stand together strong. It sounds simplistic, but that is really what people need to take away. It is woven beautifully through this story, and Tammara handles it with grace.
Lucas is HOT. He is that bad boy and I want a piece of him, broken, secrets and all. The reasons he does everything is so important and even the moments where I want to doubt him, I still see it all coming together into a picture of a man, with scars, but with a lot of love and things to offer. As much as I like a brooding guy, he turns that into something new and even more awe inspiring. He contributes to others, to helping them while helping himself work through his issues.
The secondary characters were also well crafted. Erin, Jacqueline's roomie, took me a second to warm up to her, but once I did, I loved every scene she was in. She was the right combo of supportive, encouraging, and fun. There was also Benji, who stole the scene in eco class. I loved what he brought to the story, whether a gay token or not. Then, you can't leave out the professor. It was neat how his story tied into "Landon's" and I was not expecting it. Then there is Kennedy. One minute I am thinking he is a butt, then I see a glimmer of the person I think Jacqueline fell for to start with, and then he goes on the rinse and repeat cycle and I want to Gibbs' clipboard to the back of the head again.
So, obviously, I loved the characters. Tammara nailed them and I couldn't take my eyes from their story.
This really was my kind of book--smoking chemistry, issues, a well done main character, and a love interest with protector instincts.
Bottom line: Superb NA contemporary.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account