Solid foundation to win it all
(Updated: July 31, 2022)
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
In the second installment of the Six of Crows Duology, our group of thieves and outcasts are pulling off daring plans in the city of Ketterdam to save Inej after she was kidnapped by the esteemed Merchant councilman, Jan Van Eck. Kaz Brekker’s plan is daring and if it works Inej will be safe, they will have a huge payout, and Jan Van Eck’s reputation will be ruined.

I enjoyed this book even better than the first. It still has all the clever Ocean’s Eleven style heists and
sleight of hand that Six of Crows had, but the group has a solid foundation of friendship and budding
trust that makes this story more solid. Kaz is the brains of the group always having backup plans and unseen reveals to keep you turning the pages and wondering what will happen next. I enjoyed that not all his plans go smoothly and that final contingency plans are needed. It feels more authentic and raises the stakes so you become more invested in the outcome.
I appreciate how Kaz and Inej slowly work on their personal barriers and reveal the past traumas that
are holding them back from the mutual affection they both have. I am rooting for their relationship to continue to deepen. Out of respect for the backstory that was established, I am also glad that after a few attempts they weren’t just ok with a casual touch. Trauma response doesn’t easily go away and I am glad that it was respected in this book and that we are given hope that they will continue to work towards a relationship together.
Nina discovers that her powers are different and she faces addiction and withdrawal after taking the
Juda Parem to save their lives in Fjerda. I like the growth that Matthias’ character has when he puts
aside his deep-seated hatred for Grisha to acknowledge his growing feelings for Nina. He stayed by her side at her worst.
Jesper and Wylan’s relationship was so charming. They bring out the best in each other. They saw each other’s weakest moments and strengthened each other to get through them. They both still have struggles, but with their relationship, they will both be successful.

What Left Me Wanting More: Leigh Bardugo made a bold decision that after everything the six went
through, things turned out unexpectedly for a few of them in the end. With the high stakes they were in you don’t expect that many people to all come out safely, but the way it was done seems so arbitrary.

Final Verdict: This high-stakes roller coaster ride of events will keep you up at night to get to the finish.
Brace yourself for some unexpected heartbreak. There are many tender moments and deep satisfaction as a good plan comes together. I highly recommend this book and am excited to revisit this world on her next book.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account