Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
A Mortal Song by Megan Crewe

The Story:
Sora is a Kami, one of the mythical beings who live atop Mt. Fugi. When the palace is attacked by a blood-thirsty demon and his horde of ghosts, Sora must find the three objects which will help her band of friends take back the mountain. But the way is paved with shocking revelations about who Sora truly is, and if she does not face this self-discovery head on, the future could end in disaster.

The Characters:
The Author is very comfortable dealing in the ‘greys’ of what makes a character right, or wrong. The protagonists make mistakes, forgiveness has to be earned, and we see that even the good characters have their demons. Each minor and major character has a background and a purpose. We empathize with the antagonist despite his evil actions.
Sora is not your everyday princess. Her Kami upbringing has made her humble and wise beyond her 17 years. Yet she struggles to understand why she is not like other Kami on the inside, and why she is so drawn to the humans in the town at the base of Mt. Fugi. Sora is multi-faceted, endearing, intelligent and a pleasure to read.

The World:
An urban fantasy set in Japan. The insertion of the magical elements in an otherwise normal Earth is cleverly introduced in the starting chapters. We get a clear sense of the Kami people, who take all kinds of shapes and forms, and the concept of Ki. Through the later chapters, where there are many characters in different places, it became necessary to pause and figure out where Sora was in relation to everyone else — this was also true of a few of the action scenes where many characters were being juggled simultaneously. However, the authenticity shines from this piece and, overall, the setting is highly intriguing and well-developed.

The Readability:
Beautifully written. The themes of patience and compassion, forgiveness and humility, are strong. The pace is steady, and the world-building so unique the story stays with you after reading. There is good balance between information and action.

Final Verdict:
We’ve all read the classic rags to riches story, but in A Mortal Song, Megan Crewe delivers the opposite, and the result is gripping. Nothing about this book is typical; not the characters, nor the world. Young adult readers are in for a treat.

Favorite Quote:
“Faster,” Takeo whispered.
I sent all the energy I could summon to my feet. We darted around trees and through bushes, the ghosts’ furious shouts trailing after us. My lungs burned, but I kept running, on and on, past the houses of the town and the farmlands beyond it, long after the voices behind us faded away.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account