delightfully silly picture book
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

YETIS ARE THE WORST! is an absolutely delightful picture book that follows Gilbert the Goblin on his quest to find some yetis and prove to everyone that they are not so mysterious and cool. Gilbert sets out on the mountain with his camera only to discover that the things he is snapping photos of are, in fact, not yetis, but instead are shrubbery, a unicorn on skis, a bunny carving an ice sculpture, and more. What he does not notice is that the yetis are all around him. So when he yells and starts an avalanche, he falls into a secret yeti lair - only to realize that yetis are just shy.

What I loved: This is such a fun and clever book. Children will absolutely adore poor Gilbert, who just wants everyone to know how cool goblins are and forget about those mysterious yetis. The snafus with the pictures he takes turning out to be different things with a yeti profile only add to the all the giggles - as do the yetis right behind him as he heads up the mountain unbeknownst to him. Children love feeling like they are in on the joke, and this book is full of simple and cute silliness that they will love to see.

The illustrations are lush and full of great details as well as adorable characters. There is plenty for children to visually explore on each page. The endpages are really cute too, expanding on the story with Gilbert and the yetis in the form of pictures taken. The text is clear and easy to read aloud on each page, told from the perspective of Gilbert. The pages can turn quickly, which works well for a wide range of ages. My preschooler has had us read this book probably about a million times - so it's a very quick favorite and one that we can all giggle about!

What left me wanting more: As a very small thing, the time after meeting the yetis felt very brief, and it would have been cool to have a bit more conversation with them, but the major points are conveyed and children won't mind.

Final verdict: Adorable silliness abounds in YETIS ARE THE WORST! Highly recommend for children who love adorable characters, laughing, and a search for the unknown.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account