Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 227
Captivating Summer Read
Wild Blue Wonder traces the aftermath of Quinn's best friend Dylan's death. The book is told in alternating chapters: the present, told in first-person from Quinn's perspective, and the past, told in letters written to Dylan she's never able to send. As the book progresses, we are given glimpses into Quinn's past with Dylan, the responsibility she feels for his death, and all the what 'might have beens' she's left struggling with. Her siblings are also dealing with this loss but in very different ways. When foreign exchange student Alexander arrives, Quinn allows herself to open up to him in a way she isn't comfortable opening up to her own family, and his friendship helps her to see herself as less of a monster.

What I loved most about this book wasn't the romance but the bonds Quinn shared with her family. Teenagers are notorious for seeking advice and comfort outside their family, and I think Sorosiak portrays the complexities of familial relationships here. There's a lot of love in this book, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a summer read that will pull your heartstrings.
Good Points
Carlie Sorosiak does an amazing job of portraying how the pain and tragedy of loss effect those who are left behind in very different ways.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account