Review Detail

3.0 1
Young Adult Fiction 210
Enjoyable second book, and wraps things up nicely.
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Harlequin and Netgalley.)
This is book 2 in the ‘Nightwatchers’ series, and kicks off a few days after the end of events in book 1 ‘Dark Kiss’.
**Warning- some unavoidable spoilers for book 1 – Dark Kiss**
Following the events in book 1, Sam is left soulless, and is desperately searching for Stephen in an effort to get her soul back, and also wants to get her best friend Carly back from the Hollow. Bishop is going slowly mad, and Sam can’t get too close to him for fear of taking his soul and killing him, and problems with the grays are only getting worse.

There’s also a new angel in town – Cassandra, as well as a new threat; an entity that has somehow come back from the hollow, and is now causing teens to commit suicide.

Sam’s hunger is also getting worse, and it looks like she’ll never get her soul back, and her status as a Nexus is also putting her at risk.
Can the angels and demons finally get rid of the grays that they were sent to get rid of? Will Sam ever get her soul back? And is there any hope of a happy ending for Sam and Bishop?

Having finished this book the first thing that comes to mind is – ‘Wow, that was one hell of a crazy story!’ To be honest, I’m not even sure where to begin! So much happened in this book, it was just madness.
Thankfully there was a bit of a recap at the beginning, and boy did I need it! I had forgotten most of the crazy stuff that happened in the first book, and exactly how many different plot-lines were all simmering along together.

So, firstly; Sam. Sam was left with no soul at the end of book 1, and a hunger for souls that made her a ‘gray’. She was in love with Bishop, but since he had been made a fallen angel, and had a soul, she couldn’t kiss him without killing him – bummer.
Sam stays strong in this instalment, she tries her best to stay away from the temptation of Bishop, although it’s hard for both of them, and she also tries to stay away from Colin (who previously kissed her), as well as any other tempting souls. It’s difficult though, and her hunger keeps growing.
Sam is still searching for Stephen, and looking for a way to get Carly back (see what I mean about multiple storylines?). She also has the whole Nexus thing to deal with somehow, without the added complication of this new supernatural who is driving people to kill themselves.
I liked Sam in this instalment, she was much stronger than in the first book, and tried to take charge of things a little more. She made difficult decisions and fought against her hunger, even when it was killing her. I admired how focused she was, and how doing nothing, or letting other people do stuff for her wasn’t an option for her.

Bishop was a little nuts himself this time, the madness that was coming over him whilst Sam wasn’t touching him was made worse by the fact that Sam couldn’t get too close to him without wanting to eat his soul. Because of this we hear a lot less from Bishop, but Sam and Bishops feelings haven’t changed.
I still like Kraven I’m afraid, even though he’s a demon, he is funny and sweet, and I personally would have chosen him over Bishop. I might be on my own here, but I like the bad boy!

The blurb says something about Sam kissing another member of the team who she can’t hurt. I’m not going to tell you exactly who this is, ‘cause that would be a spoiler, but let’s just explain this by saying that the other team members don’t have souls, and that for some reason, when this certain person kisses Sam, it takes her hunger away, without hurting that person. I will stress that this is not a love triangle developing here though, at least not in the traditional way. Sam doesn’t have feelings for this other person, and the kissing is not instigated by her.

I’m kind of unsure at this point whether this is a 2 book series or more. I will say that most stuff is wrapped up at the end of this book – the grays etc, but there are still some continuing factors, which leave the book open to further books. Whether further books are planned I don’t know, but this could easily prove to be just the start of our travels with Samantha.

Overall; I enjoyed this book, but you’ll need to concentrate on this one to keep up with all the different storylines going on!
7 out of 10.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account