Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I was thrilled when I received 'Wake' by Amanda Hocking. I enjoyed her "Trylle" series and was looking forward to this new series. From the very first paragraph of the prologue I was hooked. Terrified and grossed out, but hooked. The whole concept of sirens is horribly frightening and Ms. Hocking does a wonderful job of showing the reader just how terrible the sirens are.

The characters are memorable and I enjoyed reading about them. From the very beginning I was rooting for Gemma and Harper. I knew the sirens were after one of them, and I was so scared for whomever it was! I actually haven't been this 'frightened' of what was happening in a book for a long time. It was a nice change to be literally on the edge of my seat the entire time.

I really enjoyed Alex's character. He is the literally the boy next door and he's an all around good guy. I loved the relationship he had with Gemma and I was rooting for them the entire book. I also enjoyed Harper and Daniel's relationship. I thought it was very good for Daniel to help Harper "loosen up" a bit and not take everything so seriously. I hope in further books of the series that we get more Harper and Daniel. Just saying. Penn, Thea & Lexi are the sirens and they absolutely terrifying. Every time they were in a scene I got very tense and was so worried about the other characters. These girls were nuts! They are like Mean Girls on steroids. I would definitely not want to meet them anywhere!

I had a bit of an issue with the writing style, just like I did with the "Trylle" series. It's just my personal preference though. I just felt like the book skipped around a bit, it even skips from point of view in the middle of a page sometimes without warning and that threw me off. However, I was able to pick right back up and continue reading. I also felt that in a few scenes, Ms. Hocking could have gone into further detail, but she didn't. Again, that's my personal preference, but I just wanted to include that in my review.

Overall, I really enjoyed the uniqueness of this book. I would definitely recommend to any Amanda Hocking fans!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account