Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
The thing with Viral Nation is that it blended different genres - time travel, a virus apocalypse and dystopia - seamlessly. When I first read the blurb I wondered how these different plots could be mixed. You have a virus epidemic that spread, and it naturally leads you to a post-apocalyptic like future where the land is dystopic. Time travel usually doesn't figure in such stories but here, it gave a nice addition to the story. The prologue was kept short and informative but it gave a lot of insight into the story ahead. When the book started, the world-building did get a bit confusing, especially when they came to the stopping-crime-before-it-happens part. I admit the time loops and paradoxes were giving me a headache - not to mention the swift pace of the book. Things happen very fast and I was left wondering - is that even possible?

The story towards the middle did get a bit off track and I had a lot of questions, some of which fortunately were resolved towards the end. The way Clover was 'drafted', Bennett and Kingston's reactions - these were haunting me till they were explained. The Freaks banding together felt so natural, though and them meeting up with Waverly and his subsequent backstory cleared quite some doubts. It wasn't really unpredictable but I liked the way the story was moved forward - the characters and their relationships with other drive the story more or less. If you are into romance, well, this book doesn't offer much of it but it is sweet nevertheless - the way they don't have to speak their feelings - you just know.

What I would have loved was more explanation of the virus epidemic and how the portal works. It seemed short and cut off - and I expect that it would be explained in further books. Some things did seem too coincidental - like what was Bennett doing near the lake? Why does the Revolution rest on the shoulders of mere kids? All in all, a good read for science-fiction fans.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account