Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 490
Vespertine is a good versus evil story with a unique magic system.
What I loved:
Vespertine has complex characters, beautiful writing, immersive world-building, a plot with twists and turns, and a unique and original magic system. This book has just what all fantasy lovers want from a story. Artemisia is our introverted main character who spends most of the book trading banty wit with the Revenant inside her. Her character development was fascinating as she went from a hermit in a convent to a savior and realized that friends are not so terrible to have.

What Left Me Wanting More:
The ending is very anti-climatic like the author wasn't sure if there would be more than one book for this story. There is an excellent building up to a final big confrontation between the revenants and spirits, but then we have the epilogue. There is no romance in the book, which works well for our anxiety-ridden Artemisia. I would think of more clarification of how the hierarchy went and the Clerisy, as it took a bit to handle all of that.

Final Verdict:
Margaret Rogerson's writing of places and people is engaging, but the magic system was complex for me to follow versus her previous books. I'm not sure where the story will go, but I hope we get some more snarky interaction between Artemisis and the Revenant, doing this worth reading.
Vespertine (Vespertine, #1)
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account