Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I totally fell in love with this story. Beautifully written this tale has a Sandra Cisnernos feel to it with it's realistic and touching portrayal of Lupita and her family. This is also a coming of age story told in free verse. Each chapter flows and shows the rich details of Lupe's home and family life. I especially loved how her father is portrayed as a loving and handworking person who will do anything for his family. Some examples of the great details McCall weaves is showing Lupita's mami making tortillas in the kitchen with her own special magic. I also loved Lupita. Her journey through her mother's cancer and how she grows is beautifully shown down to how she deals with the language with her love of drama and poetry. I love how McCall shows us a loving family and a heroine who faces her mother's cancer with strength and courage. But mostly this is a story of hope that will stay with you.

At the end of the book is a glossary of Spanish words and terms.

This small novel is huge in heart and hope. A must add to any collection.
Good Points
Realistic portrayal of a loving and strong Latino family
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
February 26, 2012
This is the book I want to read most. Reading that it has a Sandra Cisneros quality to it only makes me want to read it more!
1 results - showing 1 - 1