Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Full disclaimer: I am a huge fan of Milton and Paradise Lost ever since college. So this was a big pull for me with this novel.

Anne Blankman wows once again. I fell in love with her debut duology Prisoner of Night and Fog and Traitor Angels does not disappoint. When it comes to historical fiction Blankman weaves together historical facts, fiction, and plot twists to near perfection. As a reader, I can tell how much love she puts into her storylines. Her world building feels like you are being placed right inside a postcard. Vivid imagery and description put you right inside the action. Even though it is set in 1666, the world feels as fresh and as real as if I just stepped outside my front door.

Being a big fan of Milton, I love how Blackman added in secret messages, clues and codes. Turning what many might assume is just another boring British poem (which it definitely is not) into something so much more. It is a great way to get new young readers into British Lit. It mixes poetry with incredible historical details, religion and science, intrigue, romance, and of course a twisting and turning mystery adventure plot.

I have been incredibly lucky with a historical/literary reading streak. Traitor Angels is up at the top of my list after reading other fantastic YA book on Charlotte Bronte- these two books make a great pair especially if you have time to read at the beach!. The scavenger hunt feeling had me trying to figure out the puzzle too.

Both well-research, imaginative, and obviously written with love, I recommend this book to fans of historical fiction and mystery readers. After reading Traitor Angels I just wanted to give it a hug. I know it might be too soon- but when is the next Anne Blankman book coming?
Good Points
Page turning
Interesting facts about British Lit (Paradise Lost)
Report this review Was this review helpful? 2 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account