Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I'm a huge Ellen Hopkins's fan. Her writing gives sensitive topics such as abuse, drug use, a powerful, emotional punch.

TILT is the companion novel to TRICKS where the teens were first introduced. In this novel we see third different teens stories. There's Mikayla who falls head over heels in love with Dylan but one mistake leaves her to make hard choices. Shane is sixteen and finally meets a boy he loves. But Alex has a secret of his own. Shane's not sure if he can commit especially with his own family drama that involves a four year old sister who is dying. Then there is Harley, the good girl that decides to play with the wild side with devastating consequences.

I love Hopkins's writing style which is free verse poetry. The rhythm and beat of each poem takes the reader on an emotional ride. I love to stop and reread stanzas of her poetry just to savor the feel and sound of each word.

Yes, her writing is that powerful.

My favorite characters in TILT had to be Shane and Alex. Their story and how the HIV storyline is handled is very real. I knew someone who had HIV and who was scared to come out and tell others, afraid he'd be shunned. But the opposite happened. I learned so much from this friend that showed me compassion and education are the key to understanding.

Mikayla's story also resonated with me. Our son's birthmother had a similar story. She was 14 when she had our son. Mikayla's struggles, conflicts, and how the father of her baby dropped her rang very true to me. I applaud Hopkins for not having the 'happily ever after ending' as most times this doesn't happen. Real life isn't like TEEN MOM.

TILTED is a raw, unflinching portrayal of three teens that struggle with tough issues. Ellen Hopkins is this generation's Judy Blume with her ability to 'get' what teens go through without being preachy or talking down to them.

How I wished there was a Ellen Hopkins when I was a teen. A must read.
Good Points
1. Raw, unflinching portrayal on three teens that struggle through issues
2. Powerful, emotional ride
3. Ellen Hopkins is this generation's Judy Blume with her honest writing
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 1

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account