Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I was really excited about this book because I enjoyed Falling into Place by the same author last year. I loved the writing style and the way the author chose to tell the story so I was eager to see how the plot of this new book would play out. It sounded like it could be a similar style to the first, just with different characters and a different plot.

I did find that I had a harder time getting absorbed into this book than with Falling into Place. The friendship between Janie and Micah wasn’t fun to read and I never really understood why they were still friends at all. It was a toxic friendship and since I don’t really enjoy reading those and the friendship was a huge part of the book, it made it hard for me to really get into the overall story.

Both main characters on their own were interesting. I liked Janie’s personality, her free-spirited way of looking at the world. Micah was the complete opposite, subtle and easily overlooked. The contrast between their POVs worked well, highlighting how different they were and using the non-linear style with Janie in the past and Micah in the present.

The writing was very addicting to read, just like in Falling into Place. It flowed well and even when I wasn’t enjoying reading about the toxic friendship, I was still enjoying the writing. I didn’t find the switch between POVs or from the past to the present to be abrupt or out of place, which was good. With how much enjoy the writing style alone, I look forward to more from Amy Zhang.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account