Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Honestly, there are a lot of things I love about this book. My favorite thing in this book is "bipartisan relationship," and I love all the politics going on. Republican vs. Democrat. I don't think I have read a fictional book that revels in talking about politics. (Or a teenage narrator who actually knows politics and is actively paying attention to what's going on with the election. I know I am, and it's hard to find narrators who actually care about US politics.) It's really exciting, and I absolutely love the author's incorporation of today's political points into discussion points for the book's political candidates.

Let's talk politics. Well, politics in the book. Those who follow closely with US politics would find this (unfortunately) fictional political race for the Oval Office to be a breath of fresh, beautiful, pure air. With a straightforward candidate from the Republican Party (hello, Kate's father) and the current US President (not Obama) from the Democrats, the presidential election is not without gimmicks but is relatively free of mudslinging that has been plaguing our 2016 election since the announcement of several candidates. (I need to stop! Because if I don't, I'm going to blab about why the current election is a total mess. Though I doubt I do indeed need to explain thanks to how dramatic and infamous this election has been.)

Kate is a liberal. Of course, she will have to hide her true self in order for her biological father's conservative campaign to work properly without too many hitches. She is skilled in her ways of being a smooth-talker, even though she isn't her father's biggest fan. Though Kate isn't a very funny person, she does have her moments. (The President's son will take the honor of being the most humorous and rebellious person in the entire book.) But the best part of her is her heart, which helps prop the plot forward and keep the story moving.

The conflict is absolutely fun. The election, of course, is one of them, and it is not without some (rather polite, I must point out) mudslinging and jabs between the two candidates. Then there is Kate herself who is struggling with her feelings for the President's son, which makes so much delicious content and drama. The story is rather light-hearted, though there are a few serious (and heartwarming) moments when the book touches on real life subjects. (And that is awesome!)

The ending leaves so much potential for the novel as a whole and seals up the plot quite nicely. It gives the book an illusion of a normal Contemporary Romance novel despite its unique plot and its (moderate) take on current day politics. I would love a sequel to see what happens next, because the romance between the President's son and Kate deserves a few more bricks in foundation (and of course, I would love to read a fictional election that isn't a joke). I demand more pages to be added.

Overall, THE WRONG SIDE OF RIGHT is a delightful novel of a girl and her long-lost father. But it isn't just that. It is more. It is about her finding her strength, about finding new love, and about taking a stance. I recommend this to anyone who loves a good old tale of forbidden love set in a political atmosphere.

Rating: Four out of Five
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account