Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Lets start out this review by saying I really, REALLY, liked this book&The Vinyl Princess by debut novelist Yvonne Prinz. Lets set the record straight. There are no negatives about this book beginning with the cover art and moving through the story.

Allie (Albertaher name is a long story) works at Bob and Bobs Record Store in Berkeley. Shes been there for two years and is a music and LP record buff&none of this CD or download stuff for her. Shes got a record collection numbering in the hundreds. Shes sixteen and boyfriend-less. Shes more concerned with music than with wearing the right clothes and looking fashionable. Her best friend, Kit, is the boy magnet. She works in a vintage clothing store. While Allie gets to pick the cream of the crop of records that are for sale, Kit gets to pick the newest vintage clothes and she looks great in what she picks. These friends are inseparable.

Kits having boyfriend problems. Neil, she thinks, is cheating on her. Allie has boyfriend problems too, in that she doesnt have one. However, theres this cute guy whos been coming into the store lately and Allies fantasizing that maybe he likes her.

Meanwhile, there has been a rash of robberies in the stores on Telegraph Avenue. Allie thinks its these two well dressed guys whove been hanging around across the street next to a fancy car with dark windows¬ the clientele seen on Telegraph.

Finally, Allies parents are divorced and her dad, whos moved in with young Kee-Kee, has announced that Allies going to be a big sister. Just what a 17-year-old wants to hear.

So, whats so great about The Vinyl Princess? First of all, the characters. Allie and Kit are real live teenagers, having anxiety over all the things teens stress over. Allie skateboards everywhere. Allies parents and co-workers are unique. Then theres Shorty and Jam, two cross-dressing drunks who add humor and color to an already colorful neighborhood. The boyfriends and potential boyfriends are typical guys. What more need I say?

Second, is the story. Its just a fun, enjoyable story. Id say its a great beach read, but its March and cold out. Maybe save it for the beach.

Lastly, its the music. Since most of it relates to the old vinyl LPs that I used to listen to in the dark ages, I loved all the musical references. But for the more up to date of you out there, Allie blogs about her musical tastes and starts a music zine that she puts in Bob and Bobs. Yvonne Prinz is co-owner/co-founder of Amoeba Music, the worlds largest independent music store, according to the jacket bio. Shes got a website at www.thevinylprincess.com and a blog at http://www.thevinylprincess.com/my-blog.

OK, so if I had to pick one thing to grouse about, its that theres not a complete list of all the music mentioned in the book. So, make sure when you start reading youve got a pad and pen close at hand so you can jot down some interesting artists and LPs.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account