Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Oh man, did it really have to end that way?!

I really don't know where I got the idea that this was an “issues” contemporary, but that's what I was thinking for the longest time. The only thing that changed my mind was all the reviews popping up saying how deliciously creepy it was, and boy, was it! It has the whole “unreliable narrator” thing going on for it which is always a plus in my book. At times I was seriously convinced there was a ghost and other times I just wanted to throttle Rinn thinking she was making it all up. I mean, how is “I should stop taking my medicine so the ghost can get me” the right answer in any universe? Come on, Rinn.

I don't really know why I had a problem with Rinn and Nate's relationship, but I did. Something about it just felt off for me. Like, it didn't quite feel like insta-love because they were taking things slow at first and yet it did. The whole story takes place within about 3 months and they manage to go through a roller coaster of emotions (albeit, they had some help) including the L word and doing It/not doing It (an argument of sorts). And when they made out I just felt kind of bleh.

As I mentioned, the creep factor was definitely there. The first day I was reading it, half the lights in our apartment building were inexplicably out. We're talking, I-live-at-the-end-of-the-hall-and-can't-see-the-other-end dark. The combination of the tunnel in the book and my dark hall almost gave me a heart attack! I really loved that it wasn't always typical ghosty things either (i.e. ghostly forms, things mving around when they shouldn't, sudden coldness). Oh yes, those things were there, but that wasn't the half of it. We're talking total crazypants stuff too like

The Nutshell: If you like unreliable narrators and WTFery then The Unquiet is definitely your book. Don't blame me if you find yourself wanting t leave all the lights on, though ;P

Hit
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account