Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I was intrigued when I found out THE UNQUIET had a protagonist that deals with not only an urban legend's ghost but struggles with bipolar disorder. Garsee works in a psych ward, so she deals with patients with mental illness. My own father, half-brother, and uncle are bipolar. So yes, I kind of know what's it's like to be around those who don't take their meds because they either like the 'manic' part or just don't want to take them. The symptoms can be anything from paranoid thinking to hearing/seeing things.

It's the author's unique twist that had me reading this engaging, suspenseful paranormal tale in one sitting. I love horror stories that aren't too graphic but rather subtle with the creep factor. Garsee does this and more! She nails the voice and shows us a realistic portrayal of a bipolar teen who struggles with her illness.

First off, I have to say the voice of this novel is amazing. Loved it. Loved the dialogue exchange between Rinn and the cute next door neighbor boy Nate. Seems her mother has some history that she's not sharing with Rinn, like the fact that she dated Nate's dad in high school. There's a rhythm to the dialogue that moves this tale right along. And yes, even some humor too.

The layers of Rinn are slowly peeled back. It would be so easy to make this about a 'bipolar' teen that sees things type of story. No, Garsee shows us Rinn's struggles with what happened with her grandmother and the fact that the stepfather she adores, blames her for his mother's death. She misses her stepfather, loves her mother, and also wishes she could just be 'normal' and not take any of the meds.

I love how Garsee doesn't start right off with the urban legend's ghost but rather shows us how this ghost has a hold over them. Think I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER meets a vindictive ghost. Seems Rinn isn't the only one in town with a 'secret'. Everyone in this little Ohio town has 'his/her' baggage. This includes Rinn's friend's parents too. And I can't forget to mention the vacuated pool where the ghost Annaliese died. The teens have to go through a tunnel to get from one part of the high school campus and if they linger in the tunnel apparently bad things happen to them. Or even in a few cases, death.

A huge plus for me in this novel is how Garsee shows what happens when someone doesn't take their meds. I've seen this in my own family and it's just as scary as it's shown in this novel.
Rinn's haunting descent into madness is chilling. I love how it's not over the top but rather subtle. You can't tell if it's the disorder talking or the ghost.

The ending is shocking and caught me off guard. Love that!

A must read for paranormal fans that shows bipolar disorder in a realistic light.
Good Points
1. Realistic portrayal on bipolar teen off meds
2. Unique twist and shocking ending
3. Think I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER meets a vindictive urban legend
4. Great voice
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account