Young Adult Fiction 127
Journey of Self-Discovery
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
The Someday Daughter is a poignant YA novel that focuses on strained family relationships and a journey of self-discovery.

Audrey St. Vrain is the daughter of self-help guru Camilla St. Vrain and the inspiration for her mother's wildly popular book Letters to My Someday Daughter. It's the 25th anniversary of the book and Camilla wants to do a tour across the United States to help promote the book.

Audrey has her whole life planned, and the plan does not include touring with her mother and pretending they have a solid relationship. She is a pre-med student who plans to spend the summer with her boyfriend Ethan taking a medical class that she hopes will give her the advantage to get the coveted position at a prestigious hospital. As the story begins, they are in the first city for the tour and Audrey is grappling with the fact that the plans she made with Ethan for the summer are not going to happen. Throw in a budding relationship with one of the interns as Audrey's relationship with Ethan becomes more strained and you have one heck of an emotional book.

What I Liked: Audrey was such a relatable character. She comes off as an anxious perfectionist who thrives on following a plan. As the book unfolds you get to delve into Audrey deeper and understand the resentment for her mother's success and the overwhelming expectations, she felt she had to live up to the "someday daughter" in the book. There was self-discovery and growth, and I enjoyed the emotional rollercoaster that we had to take to get there.

What Left Me Wanting More: Audrey's friendship with the interns was integral in her growth as a character. I struggled with her budding romance with one of the interns named Silas. Audrey was conflicted with her feelings for Silas especially since her relationship with Ethan was unraveling, but it seemed to move slowly and then super-fast. The pace of their relationship just felt rushed.

The Someday Daughter is perfect for readers who are looking for an emotional YA fiction filled with family drama, self-discovery, and romance.

Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account