Review Detail

4.1 27
Young Adult Fiction 498
Nice mix of fairy tale and dystopian world!
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I’m team Maxon all the way!
Good Points
First off, thinking that this has a mix of fairy tale and dystopia is also what made the whole story interesting. Fairy tale that it gave me what I felt for most fairy tales finding their beloved princess or princess-to-be, marrying a handsome prince like Prince Maxon then ruling a kingdom this lady never thought she’ll ever be – and dystopia for living in a futuristic world of wars against the Northern and Southern rebels mostly from the lower castes who are hungry for wealth and survival. The dystopian world however hasn’t been explored much aside from the warring of the rebels in the palace since it’s focused on The Selection itself.

The Selection, as the title says, is about the grandest event in the kingdom of Illea (the new USA after the world wars) where the prince will choose among the 35 Selected his soon-to-be-wife-and-princess of Illea. These ladies go through stages of etiquette and historical classes with co-Selected ladies, public appearances and sweetest bonding with Prince Maxon to get to know him and prove to him that one of them is going to be a worthy princess to win his heart and support him in ruling the country.

Then as one of the Selected, we meet America Singer, our lady protagonist who’s a Five (next to average caste Four; Fives belong to people who work to entertain through music and art) is the Selected’s crowd favorite despite her stubbornness, mood swings and temper which made her way to the top and to Prince’s heart.

It’s great that I’ve also read The Prince before this that I’ve come to know Prince Maxon’s POV about The Selection, The Selected and how he felt about them especially America. It made me like him more when he stood by his decision as a man to accept her request despite the circumstances. In saying this, I knew The Selection won’t just be a simple choosing and survival of the most educated and beautiful but an almost real life heartwarming experience. :)
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

1 results - showing 1 - 1
Ordering
Already have an account? or Create an account
May 04, 2013
I am definatly a Maxon gal. I like how it was a princess story but the princess thing wasnt overly done
1 results - showing 1 - 1