Review Detail

4.1 27
Young Adult Fiction 498
Dystopian meets every girl's princess fantasy = brilliant!
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
This was an amazing book. Light-hearted and fun, with some romance and a bit of action, the perfect protagonist, one forbidden love, a cute prince and 34 girls vying for his hand... what could go wrong?

Well, I am going to put it out there. What was Cass thinking when she chose the name America Singer? Who lives in America... and is a singer? Really. I mean, they are living in the future, but that's a bit pushing it. And the name Aspen reminded me of aspirin. Just putting it out there.

When I was reading the blurb, I was thinking something along the lines of "I think I'll read it first, to get it over and done with." It just sounded all a bit too fairy-tale like and fluffy princesses and spoilt girls and paparazzis and stuff. And of course, there was some of that, but it all worked beautifully, not annoyingly like I suspected it might. It had all the pretty dresses (I took special care to imagine the dresses :P), the spoilt girls (one in particular... grrrr you, Celeste), and the paparazzis, and the prince, with the shy romance, but it all worked.

I am definitely going for Maxon. He seems so sincere in his emotions, and friendly and nice (and of course it doesn't hurt that he is the Prince). I really hope that America chooses him. But she loves Aspen, who is right there in the palace as well, after he broke up with her just because he didn't want her to support him. So poor Maxon. He's so nice. But I can't believe he kept Celeste. But anyway.

America is a great protagonist. She doesn't even want to be queen, and she wanted to know about the rebels, she stood up for her maids, and was just generally outspoken and... just great. I burst out laughing (not that breathy sound you do when something's kind of funny, actual laughing), when she kneed His Royal Majesty The Prince in the groin. :D

If you're looking at the cover/blurb of this book, and thinking "Ummm... looks a little too princessy for my taste..." Don't exit this page. Trust me. America is not princessy at all.

I advise everyone to give this book a go, it is so good. I can't believe I have to wait until April for the next one!!!
Good Points
- America is a great protagonist
- Definitely not the fluffy princess drama I was expecting
- This is an amazing book
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account