The Second Death of Edie and Violet Bond
(Updated: August 12, 2022)
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
What worked: I love a good spooky tale! There's so much to love about this story set in 1885 Sacramento, California. For one, my own great-grandfather settled in downtown Sacramento around this same time so the descriptions of the area brought back fond memories. Another huge plus is how the author shows the popularity of spirituality at this time. Plus, how easy it was for the medical community at that time to diagnose a woman as being insane and send her to a state asylum.

The idea of mediums being able to cross over through the veil to help the recent dead is shown in vivid detail. I like how the author shows that it wasn't just a scam that these young women practiced.
Readers see what goes on during the shows. Add to this a mystery on the disappearance of young female mediums.

There's lots of historical backdrop throughout this story. 1885 Sacramento comes to life. I especially loved reading the descriptions of downtown Sacramento. Since I'm from this area I knew the area, like K street. Lots of history adds to the character of this engaging story.

I loved the premise of twins mediums who flee after the tragic death of their mother to end up joining a traveling Spiritualist show. Edie and Violet might be twins but like their different hair colors, they have different goals and temperaments. They do share a bond as sisters which helps them when times turn dark.

The haunting part of this story has to be what women dealt with during the later 19th century. Men had the final say on what to do with women, which included the horrific practice of locking them up in asylums. The author doesn't hold back by showing the grisly practices of what a woman could expect if sent there.

Also, I loved the idea of the handsome news reporter who added needed tension to the story. The romance is a slow burn that builds toward the end. I also like how it isn't the guy who saves the day, but rather the determination and courage of the protagonist.

Great pacing, ghostly suspense, and the power of a sister's bond set in 1885 Sacramento.
Good Points
1. Spooky historical set in 1885 Sacramento
2. Spirituality & feminism of the 19th century
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account