Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
My Review: Where do I start? I like to speak open and honestly with my opinions and my reviews. Books are not the only thing I write about, and a more negatively biased review is never fun to write. Someone, in this case, the author, poured their heart and soul into that project and I don’t like to rain on anyone’s parade. But a review is nothing more than a critique. And perhaps the author may appreciate it? I’m not sure.

The Scorpio races just did not grab my attention. Throughout the entire book I found myself struggling to carry on a little more. Once in a while, I would find myself wanting to read a little bit more, but they were self fulfillment moments for me. I wanted to hear the gossip about a particular event. I wanted to know why this person did this or that. I wanted to see one of the protagonists have his butt handed to him. But those moments were sparse. Overall, it just didn’t do it for me.

I don’t want to say that The Scorpio Races is a bad book though. There have been many other readers that have loved it. I can understand why. The writing is very artistically done. The author weaves her words like a fine quilt, examining every stitch with every bit of perfectly chosen letterage. By every means, the author is a damn good writer.

There was a lack of emotions in the wording that I felt. It just didn’t connect. It works for this title as the whole island is very drab. But an author has the capabilities to express that little bit of emphases here or there, much like a musician will choose to soften a low part of a song or make the guitar strings screech much louder. Academically, the author is excellent. Emotionally written, this book is drab.

I have a feeling that The Scorpio Races will become one of those classics that are used throughout the educational system as a work of art and material to dissect for students much like Lord of the Flies. But I found the plot line very boring. It feels much like a lifetime movie. A small sequence of important but subtle events takes place here or there. There is a lot of filler, like feeding the horses, or the house wife going grocery shopping in her 1980s Volvo wagon a la Lifetime. There is some fun at the end, but the reader must fight their way to that point. The plot line has a very interesting concept, but the book could have been much shorter or included additional powerful events that would have spiced things up a bit.

I think my boredom may have been caused because I am a guy (sorry, forgot to mention that I read this book and not my wife. She may have a different opinion then I do after she reads the book) and I read for personal enjoyment, not personal gain. The Scorpio Race is a book filled with moral high ground examples and life lessons. But just like my movies, I want some fast paced action, gripping stories that don’t let you breath, and maybe a little sexual frustration thrown in just to make things interesting. This book is much drabber and low key.

Final Thoughts: The Scorpio Races will become a classic revered by readers to come for many generations. I am willing to bet on it. This book is very well written. There will be a good majority of readers that will really enjoy this book. It was a little boring to me though.
Good Points
well written
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account