Review Detail

4.7 14
Young Adult Fiction 839
Yet another amazing novel by Maggie Stiefvater.
Overall rating

Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I got this book a few weeks ago from a very awesome friend who sent it to me =) I have no idea why it took me so long to finish it, but even when I finished, I had to take a few days to mull it over since I had no idea how I felt about this book o_o

There's no doubt that The Scorpio Races is extremely different from the Mercy Falls trilogy. That took me awhile to get used to - I love the Mercy Falls books, and I wasn't expecting something this different. But once I got into it, I have to admit that I think it's awesome Maggie Stiefvater can write two stories so vastly different and yet have them both be ridiculously awesome.

The Scorpio Races is told from the dueling point of views - both Puck and Sean. I liked how easy it was to distinguish the two of them - if I picked up the book after not having read it for awhile and I was in the middle of the chapter, there was no confusion as to who was narrating. And, y'know, that was awesome, considering Puck is a girl and Sean is a guy. I have a feeling things might have been awkward if they sounded similar >_>

Something completely random - I totally loved the relationships Sean and Puck had with their horses, especially Sean. There was something so real about it. Even though this is a fantasy novel, there were still so many ways to connect to it.

I can't think of anything to say about the plot without giving away spoilers. I honestly can't -_- But it was something so different, like nothing I've ever read. And I know how much most of us love originality :P

The writing style was amazing, as always. The emotions were always so clear, easy to understand, but Stiefvater's writing is anything by simple. She never forgets the details or the imagery like so many other authors. And in a book like this, I feel like the little details and pictures are really important.

And another thing: I am a romance fan. I can barely handle reading books without some aspect of romance in them. And in this book, the romance wasn't a huge part. It was there, but it wasn't like most books. AND I STILL LOVED IT.

Honestly, I think the only problem I had was that at times the pacing was a little too slow for me and I would have liked to see more action. But seriously. THAT'S ALL I HAVE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT.

Overall: Regardless of the fact that it took me forever to read, this book is something original and different. Stiefvater's writing never fails to disappoint. 5 stars.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account