N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Reader reviewed by Gonzo

The Outsiders Book Review
Gonzo

Who do you want to be a Greaser or a Soc? Are you confused? I'll explain what is going on in here. The Outsiders is a book about two main gangs, the Greasers and the Socs. They hate each other and are always fighting because they think they are different but infact they are almost the same inside. The Socs are the rich kids with big houses and good cars. They like to jump the Greasers, jumping means attacking with knives and fists suddenly for no reason.The Greasers are the poor kids, the are called Greasers because they have long hair and use a lot of hair grease.
I think that this book is realistic fiction because it is happening in the world, all these gangs and gang fights. This is really hooking book ,because I thought I was going to hate the book from the name but I love it!
The Outsiders was written by S.E. Hinton. She was seventeen when she wrote this book, it was written in the 1950's. It is about 60 years old and still really famous, because it has to do with real life. S.E Hinton stands for Susan Eloise Hinton but her editor thought that a book written by a woman wouldn't be published so they hid Susan, along with her writing history she got used to the name.
This book is a first person narration. The narrator is a boy named Ponyboy Curtis. Ponyboy is fourteen years old and has two brothers, Sodapop and Darry, but he has no parents, because they died in a car accident. His brother Sodapop loves Ponyboy a lot and shows he loves him, and his brother also loves Ponyboy, but doesn't really show it.
The main characters of this book are Ponyboy, Sodapop, Darry, Johnny, Dallas and Cherry. Ponyboy has long brown hair and greenish gray eyes, he likes reading books and goes to the movies when he is alone. Sodapop has dark brown eyes, long gold hair, he is handsome, he understands everyone. Darry is very stocky, his eyes are blue greenish ice,he is hard and firm and is always correcting Ponyboy, loves to show off his big muscles. Johnny has big black eyes and long black hair, but he is a sensitive boy, who is scared of life and emotional. Dallas has an elfish face, high cheek bones,animal teeth, pointed ears like a lynx, and long blond hair, but loves to break the law, carries an unloaded gun with him to get things his way. Cherry is pretty and has red hair, her real name is Sherri but because of her hair her friends call her Cherry,so far she is the only Soc.
The setting happens in a lot of places but the main place is a town called Windrixville which is divided in two parts, west side is the Soc side and east side is the Greaser side.There is a parking lot in the middle where most of the action happens. Another big setting is Ponyboy's house. This is all happening around the 1950's
The plot is a bit weird but I liked it. The Outsiders starts out by Ponyboy coming out of the movies and then being jumped by a group of Socs. Next on another day Ponyboy, Johnny, Dallas went to the movies and found these two Soc girls, Cherry and Marcia, they walk home to get a car to drive them. On the way Cherry starts telling her feelings about life, and being a Soc to Pony. After that Pony and Johnny escape to Jay Mountain because of a murder event. When they come back there is a big gang rumble/fight. Something very bad happens to Johnny, so Ponyboy gets real sad and starts going from A's to C's and D's his teacher lets him higher raise his grade if he writes a theme, essay, about anything he wants.
You should read this book. There is a lot of irony in it like the sudden escape. You can connect this book to your life and connect to how Ponyboy or Johnny felt. This is a very believable book because as I told there are gangs and gang fight and crime. This is a very interesting book. But the slang used in the book is confusing like do you know what it means to get boozed up, it means to get drunk. Do you know who the heat are, they are the police, and they carry heaters, guns. Do you know what a weed is, it is a cigarette.
It think that after read this book and understanding the way S.E. Hinton writes you will want to read more of her books, because she is a perfect writer! This book is a bout the past the present and the future. You can connect your whole life to it for sure. READ THIS BOOK!!!!!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account