Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I have always been intrigued by history (I mean my dad was a Social Studies teacher so I kind of HAD to be interested). The fact that this story was full of fascinating tidbits about the real Jack the Ripper was an unequivocal plus for me! This tie to the past took the creep factor up a notch. I don’t think there are enough mysteries in young adult, and this had that mystery thriller feel to it.

I was taken by surprise that there was a paranormal element to the story. For some reason, I had not been expecting it, however, it really added to the story. With the supernatural you know anything can happen, so it set me more on edge, and rightfully so.

I really loved Rory. She was a no nonsense type of girl. She was hilarious, and instead of being embarrassed by where she was from, she embraced it (as well as embellished it in a funny, but not so flattering, way). She didn’t let the so called “cool kids” bother her at all.

The setting, of course, was essential. Since the first Jack the Ripper happened in London, the story wouldn’t have come so alive if the setting were anywhere else. Rory was in a boarding type school, but it didn’t bother me so much. Boarding school settings are, in my opinion, used too often, but it worked in this case. I think one of the main reasons it worked so well was that we got to get out and see a bit of London through the telling of the story. Also, I loved Rory’s roommate Jazza.

If you like a lot of romance in your books, this one might not meet your needs. There was a little bit of romance, but it definitely was not the focus of the story. The romance really wasn’t developed too much, but this is the first in a series, so we will have to see how that plays out.

Overall this was a thrilling read that kept me guessing, and surprised me in a few places. Just like with Maureen Johnson’s Little Blue Envelope books, she takes you on one crazy adventure
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account