Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
The second installment in the Delcroix Academy series has definitely convinced me that this series is inspired almost wholly by the X-Men. There was a quote partway through when Cam's explaining what The Program does, and it's so obvious that Delcroix is Xavier's school for gifted children, being attacked by guys with comparable powers. That said, I love stories about people with superpowers, so this didn't detract too much from the story for me.

Unfortunately, even more than in book one, I do not like Cam. He's too perfect, which seems to mean lacking personality. I mean, this guy doesn't seem to have a sense of humor or be interested in anything besides Delcroix. Other than the fact that he's super duper hot, I really don't see why Dancia's so into him. Unless, as I personally fear, he's manipulating her with his persuasive abilities. Even if he's not, this is what I've thought about him from the beginning of book one, so I really can't not be creeped out by their relationship. It's not even that I ship her with Jack; she really should find someone else that's neither of them. Too bad since the book is largely about her relationship with Cam.

Speaking of creepy, Mr. Judan freaks me the hell out. He has way too much power over everyone, with his power of persuasion. Seriously, I don't think anyone can have persuasion powers and not go full-on power hungry. I mean, at one point, it says that if Judan wants a student to leave Delcroiz, he can get the parent(s) a new job. What the heck? He has too much power if he can just have people transferred like that!

The best part of this series, which I shamefully neglected to mention in my first review, remains Dancia's grandma. She is one of the spunkiest 78 year old women ever. She's such a feminist and loves giving people a hard time just for fun. I love that she gave Dancia a hard time for not fighting back and letting her boyfriend protect her. Grandma makes me smile. Both of my favorite quotes from this series have been grandma's work.

Book two cements this series as a fun, action-packed ride. Although I'm not blown away, I have every intention of continuing on with the series, because they're so fun to read.
Good Points
X-Men
powerful heroine
sassy grandma
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account