Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I found The Lost Girl difficult to get into at first, though, that could be due to the fact that I was obsessed with 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors when I started. However, it did pick up and I ended up really enjoying it.

Before I started, the concept seemed a little confusing, but Mandanna handles it well an it all ended up feeling pretty natural. Although, for some reason I had it in my head that the book was set in Victorian times so I was rather confused for a while and it took a bit to convince myself otherwise.

Eva is a strong character who I found easy to like. She cares so much about all the people around her that she'd do anything for them, yet she refuses to be the sacrificial lamb. Instead of saying "I'll stay if you let them go" and quietly taking what comes, she says she'll stay with absolutely no intention of doing so. I like that despite every crappy thing that was thrown at her she continued to fight for her right to live.

I really liked all the different relationships. Yes, romantic relationships play a role, but I wouldn't say it's the main focus. There's also Eva's relationship with her familiars (the parents of her original) as well as everyone else from Amarra's life. Not to mention all her relationships with her Guardians. It was nice to see her grow from her obligated like for Amarra's family into loving them.

I do have one complaint, though. I know Mandanna fleshes out the Loom pretty well, but I wanted more. I never quite understood the Loom or it's history and I desperately wanted to. I was also really fascinated by the process of stitching and creating and I was hoping to get a look at that. To be fair, I think the reader's understanding of the Loom is similar to the general population's (of the book) understanding of it: an idea that's a little blurry around the edges.

The Nutshell: All in all, is a good read. I'm normally a plot girl, but I really enjoyed the focus on Eva's relationships. I found myself constantly wishing she would spend more time with this or that character.

Hit
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account