Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
Reader reviewed by Penultimate Page

My Thoughts:

As soon as I finished The Hunger Games, I immediately had to pick up Catching Fire. By the end of Hunger Games, I was so happy I had bought them both at the same time.

It was shocking, heartbreaking, and the perfect continuation of Katniss story.
I thought, at first, that Hunger Games could not be topped. How on earth could this storyline continue without feeling repetitive? Obviously, I was wrong. Collins returned to the world, the characters, and the plot with fresh eyes, while somehow still conveying the hopelessness of the world and the hopefulness of the characters. The plot, though similar to that of the first book, was completely enrapturing and made my heart race.

In Catching Fire, we learn more about the characters and, not only theyre backgrounds, but theyre possible futures as well. We also get to meet new characters as Katniss and Peeta travel the Districts on their Victory Tour. Though we heard about the other Districts in Hunger GamesCatching Firebrings you into the lives of the citizens. Though some of the districts may have greater industries than Katniss District 12, no one has an easy life. People are dying, rebellions are stirring, and it all seems to be because of Katniss and a few little berries. As well as the introduction of new characters, more information is revealed about characters we met in Hunger Games. Gale, Haymitch, and President Snow all make appearances, and great impacts. I had hoped to see more of Gale in Fire, and, while I did, I was none too pleased with him. Before, I had a soft spot for him, but now, he just seems icy and distant and I could care less about him. We learn more about Haymitch and his past with the Games, which caused my heart to swell for him. President Snow makes the biggest impact of all. He went from barely there in Hunger Games to a major player in Catching Fire.

The plot, though similar, was not at all what I had expected. There was a completely unexpected twist that had me on edge from the very first page. I was crying, laughing, and longing more than in any other book. Ive heard that some did not like Catching Fire as much as The Hunger Games, and while I loved them both, I just have to say that, to me, they are completely different books. Yes, I know they are the same series, I know they are the same author, etc etc. However, I cannot seem to compare them.

The only part of Catching Fire I was not happy with was the ending. CLIFFHANGER! WHY?! How many days until Mockingjay?

The Verdict: Perfect. I could not ask for more in a continuation of The Hunger Games.

Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account