Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
I don't know about you but when I hear the word classic to describe a YA book I'm a little weary. I don't want to read a novel written in the 1920s, it'll be weird, how will I ever understand what's happening?! These thoughts flit through my mind but I was pleasantly surprised by The Great Gatsby.
First off, Fitzgerald's writing is amazing. Normally I don't pay attention to that much but we read this book for my lit class. Part of our reading included having to record the color references in the book. Now some of the colors are symbolic, but others are just used for description; yellow jazz music, the green light on the deck, and everything gray in the valley of ashes. Once you start to pay attention, all you notice is Fitzgerald's use of colors!
The characters are interesting and mysterious. I still couldn't decide how I felt about Gatsby in the end! And Nick's revelation that Daisy and Tom are careless people is such a well written conclusion to a fabulous book.
I can see why this novel is considered of the best of the 20th century. You may be scared to jump into this book. But don't fret - you will get swept into the Roaring Twenties and the great world of Jay Gatsby!
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account