Plot

N/A
Characters

N/A
Writing Style

N/A
Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
What can I say that hasn't already been said about this magnificent book? The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue is hands down one of the most fantastic books to drop in 2017 and it will top MANY favorites lists of the year, including yours truly!

What I Loved:

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue is a hilarious journey through 1800s Europe in the company of the finest characters I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. Monty, Percy, and Felicity suddenly find themselves being chased through all of Europe by power-hungry people after Monty steals a small box that seemed inconsequential at first sight. After learning that this box holds the key to helping Monty's best friend (and secret crush) to stay at his side, they decide to fight their way through (in the most gallant way, of course) until reaching their ultimate destination.

It's hard to write this review with a straight face and think things clearly because all I want to do is fangirl about the characters and everything that happens to them in all these 500+ pages. It's just that it's SO FUNNY how everything that could go wrong, happens to them, especially to Monty. Caught kissing with someone you shouldn't? Yup. Caught running around naked at a party? Yup. Stealing THE MOST important object from a private parlor full of objects? Yup. And this is only the beginning. Whatever you imagine happening to Monty, Percy, and Felicity probably happens and it was hard to not giggle at their misfortunes. Just you wait!

Monty is a one-of-a-kind character and so precious to me. While he is reckless and has inappropriate vices, his heart is gold and deserves all the hugs. His crush for his best friend, Percy, is ADORABLE and I was constantly looking forward to their small, private moments. Oh, and Percy ... ugh, such an amazing guy! Despite all of the challenges he has had to face in this world, beginning with being POC and discriminated in a society that still approves of slavery, he charges through it all with his head held high. So admirable. Gosh, I love him. I love them both and I SHIP THEM SO HARD.

BUT FELICITY. She's Monty's younger sister and one that should be preparing herself to join society as a complacent young woman, but NOPE. Our Felicity is ready to tackle the world and not let society define her. I didn't think I would love her as much as Monty and Percy, but I was wrong. Her character is everything and I'm so excited to read more about her!

This book is my first from author Mackenzi Lee but it certainly won't be my last! Her writing style is amazing and she clearly transported me inside the story. I wasn't reading about Monty's adventures with his two traveling companions, I was LIVING it with them. That's when you know a book is done right.

Final Verdict:

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue is THE book to read if you are looking for a laugh-out-loud and romantic adventure through 1800s Europe. With marvelous characters, great bisexual/gay representation, and an accurate approach to other issues faced during these times, this book is one not to be missed!
Good Points
Finest trio to ever grace YA literature (after Harry, Ron, and Hermione).
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account