The First To Die At The End
(Updated: November 01, 2022)
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

Illustrations/Photos (if applicable)

N/A
What worked: Bittersweet and heartbreaking at times story of firsts that also is filled with hope. This is an amazing prequel to THEY BOTH DIE AT THE END. I couldn't put this story down! Silvera starts at the very beginning of Death-cast and how the first 'Decker's life is intertwined with others.

So much to love in this gripping, fast-paced paranormal. Valentino Prince comes to NYC excited to start his life as a model. Orion lost his parents on 9-11 and is pretty sure he'll get the death call as his heart is failing. He just happens to be at the same place Valentino is when a shooting occurs. Then that first Death-cast call comes to the person no one expects.

There's others that Orion and Valentino run into on the 'final' day. There are multiple points of view that all link back to each other. The landlord of Valentino's NYC apartment; Joaquin Rosa, the owner of Death-Cast and who makes that first call; Gloria Dario, the mother of Pazito, the young actor and son of the landlord; Rolando, one of the first Death-cast callers and best friend of Gloria; and a cast of others. Usually, multiple points of view have a tendency to pull me out of a story, but in this case, it works. It's like a puzzle and all the pieces come together in a satisfying conclusion.

What I really love is how Valentino and Orion both decide to make the day one of the firsts, including their first kiss. So sweet, yet bittersweet too. Readers see two boys who decide to find some happiness even when the odds are stacked against them. Seriously, what would you do if you got a call saying you are expected to die within 24 hours? Would you just wait for the final moments or make peace with what time you have left?

Beautifully written and gut-wrenching at the end. I was teary-eyed when I got to the last page, but the message isn't one of despair but hope and celebrating your life.

Poignant and bittersweet with a message of living life to its fullest. Loved this story even more than the first novel. Highly recommend.
Good Points
1. Poignant, bittersweet story of firsts
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account